PDA

View Full Version : Winzip problems

JJJJJ
18-06-2013, 03:39 PM
I have the paid for version of winzip 12.1, installed in windows 7
It has never before given any trouble.
A few days ago it stopped working and zipped files were being opened with windows zip. Likewise when I sent a file to be zipped it was going to windows zip.
In "associations" there is no mention of .zip. There is a .z and a .zipz.
I downloaded a fresh copy of winzip and, after removing the old one, installed the fresh one. It installed in the normal manner, but in the associations it gives windows as the default. In "change" there is no mention of winzip. Again in the windows associations ther is no mention of winzip.
Looks like the problem is with windows, but windows help,doesn't.
I notice too then when I install a fresh winzip, it doesn't ask for user name and password.
Any suggestions?
Jack

Speedy Gonzales
18-06-2013, 04:25 PM
I've never seen it ask for a username and password when installing it. So you installed 17.5?? Did you select winzip then zip it? I cant remember windows having a zip / compress feature, it only unzips / extracts zipped files

Sounds like there's another program installed besides winzip

dugimodo
18-06-2013, 04:44 PM
Windows does compress to Zip - called creating a compressed folder or something like that.

I have an older Version of Winzip at work but when I open it under options - configuration - system theres some file association options, try those if your version has them.
Also if you can get the right click "open with" dialog up on a zip file then "choose default program and select winzip" - that should work also. I think you can hold ctrl or shift or something when right clicking to force a "open with" option but I can't try it at work to confirm.

Speedy Gonzales
18-06-2013, 04:55 PM
Go into winzip's option and tick whatever. Then it'll become associated with it. I think you mean registration info. Even if you uninstall it it stays registered. Because the folder with the reg info is still there.. So is the info in the registry.

If Corel/winzip havent changed the keys (between 12 and 17.5), it should stay registered. If not, then it'd probably say the key/serial is invalid

gary67
18-06-2013, 07:40 PM
That's why I use Izarc instead its free, does what it needs to and no registration needed

har
20-06-2013, 08:06 PM
You could use WinRar