PDA

View Full Version : [Computer Networks] A question about internal hostname

jonkimnicko
17-06-2013, 04:20 PM
Hello. Its been a while since I used to go to this forum. Anyway, I don't know where to find an answer to this question so I'll just post it in here anyway.

These are all pertaining to internal networks:

I just want to know if it is really important to give your internal hostnames a unique name?
It is possible to have 2 same internal hostname in a network?
What are the disadvantages of having two same hostnames on a network? Will packets be distributed to both computers with the same hostname?
What are the common reasons why people change their internal hostname?

I know its too much but any help that will give me enlightenment on the said questions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks. :)

Chilling_Silence
17-06-2013, 04:24 PM
Nope, it's done by the IP Address, so the hostname has no bearing on things such as browsing the internet etc
It's only if you're doing direct filesharing from PC <-> PC on your LAN that it may be of use.

jonkimnicko
17-06-2013, 04:47 PM
so i could just give the same hostname to all my computers in the internal network and have no effect on anything whatsoever?

Chilling_Silence
17-06-2013, 04:55 PM
Nah Windows will probably complain when it notices the others are there, but yeah it won't stop you getting online or anything. It'll just mean if you share a printer from, say a PC to a Laptop, that'll likely spit the dummy a bit...

jonkimnicko
17-06-2013, 06:52 PM
oh. okay. thanks for the info. :)