PDA

View Full Version : VDSL or UFB? Your view?

Sanco
17-06-2013, 03:21 PM
Let me start by saying I am not able to get neither of them, however it looks like I will be very soon and that VDSL will be the first off the mark for my street.

What I would like to learn are the pros and cons of both technologies, their intrisic costs of installation and whether you would personally go for one or the other - if any.

:drool

dugimodo
17-06-2013, 04:08 PM
All things being Equal, UFB.

I'd take VDSL if UFB is not available or costs more than a small bit extra, both are good technologies but UFB is better and it's mostly about the cable, here's why;
1. Fibre has significantly higher theoretical bandwidth than copper, existing speed offerings are about the equipment not the cable.
2. Fiber is immune to many of the common fault conditions effecting copper, corrosion, water damage, RF interference, crosstalk etc it tends to either work or not making faults less common and easier to find.
3. You won't get any induced voltages in a thunderstorm etc over fibre
4. Much higher upstream speeds are possible, much higher speeds in general actually

The Downside is you either have to keep and pay for a seperate copper phone line or make the switch top a VOIP offering over fibre.

VDSL pros and cons
1. Easy upgrade equipment wise from ADSL 2/2+ and is widely available
2. Still very good speed and a decent upstream connection for those that need it.
3. Still uses a copper line so can still be bundled with a normal phone line
4. Suffers from all the same problems as other ADSL offerings and only offers improved speeds on relatively short lines (< ~ 3.5KM)
5. Older technology

Chilling_Silence
17-06-2013, 04:22 PM
Yeah VDSL2 is *fantastic* and luckily it's already available to something like 80% of the country :)

Sanco
17-06-2013, 05:18 PM
Thanks Dugimodo and CS, much appreciated - however CS if you could expand a little more on your statement I'd be grateful :)

What are the general set up costs associated with either (like special switches and/or special modems/routers)?

At present I get 11/12mbps down and 700/800bps up on my ADSL2. Would that be an indication I am close enough to the "cabinet" to get good benefits from VDSL2 or UFB? I know they market UFB at a theoretical 100Mbps down and 50Mbps up and VDSL2 at 24Mbps down and 5Mbps up, still theoretical speeds, but in reality what should one expect to get in real terms?

Cheers

Fishb8
17-06-2013, 05:20 PM
VDSL cabinet under 100 metres away, available for 2 years and no one has ever approched me to make a deal - why not?

Sanco
17-06-2013, 05:24 PM
Have a look online fishb8, there are some good plans available on various ISP's - I'd doubt they'll come knocking at your door. ;)

Chilling_Silence
18-06-2013, 12:45 PM
Thanks Dugimodo and CS, much appreciated - however CS if you could expand a little more on your statement I'd be grateful :)

What are the general set up costs associated with either (like special switches and/or special modems/routers)?

At present I get 11/12mbps down and 700/800bps up on my ADSL2. Would that be an indication I am close enough to the "cabinet" to get good benefits from VDSL2 or UFB? I know they market UFB at a theoretical 100Mbps down and 50Mbps up and VDSL2 at 24Mbps down and 5Mbps up, still theoretical speeds, but in reality what should one expect to get in real terms?

Cheers
You want to invest well in a router. I contracted for a small ISP around 12 months ago, they tried using Thomson (Technicolor) ones and ran into no end of troubles with them. I'm a huge fan of the DrayTek DV2760 series. It costs a bit, but if you're investing in VDSL2 it's naturally because you're OK with paying a bit more of a premium over ADSL2+ to get the best quality connection you can. You've gotta get a VDSL2-specific router coz your current one won't work, so while you're replacing it, don't go get the cheapest possible one.

VDSL2 in NZ uses the 8b profile which is up to 50mbps down and 10mbps up.

To give you an example I used to get 9mbps down and 900kbps on ADSL2+, on VDSL2 I'm now getting 25mbps down and 10mbps up (Though I'm limited by my cabinet to roughly 5mbps upload).
Brother in law however gets 45mbps down.. and loves it! Lucky bugger!

VDSL cabinet under 100 metres away, available for 2 years and no one has ever approched me to make a deal - why not?
I'm actually looking at doing just that, personally! It's not hard to see which streets have access to VDSL2 and which don't, so I'm actually going to do a bit of a letterbox drop in one neighbourhood, to the places that have it, and see how the response goes from that. I'm not sure it's been tried yet, so I figure "Why not?". It could turn out to be a great way to launch my ISP :)

Sanco
18-06-2013, 01:49 PM
So, what is your ISP called CS? You up and running yet, and what do you offer at present? I am always looking to support the niche businesses ;)

Chilling_Silence
18-06-2013, 05:59 PM
I'll flick you a PM :)