PDA

View Full Version : Broadband disconnecting quite often

Digby
16-06-2013, 08:55 PM
Hi Guys

I am having trouble with my ADSL broadband dropping out.

I am in a flat in an urban area.

I did have a few times when my phone would not ring in, but my broadband still worked ! ( Chorus came and said it was at the exchange and they went away and then it worked)

But for the last few weeks my Broadband has been disconnecting quite a lot.

My phone line was very crackly some times, then it would be very clear.

After playing with the phone (a Uniden portable) it seems to have died - no red light comes on.

So I have disconnected the phone and plugged my modem into the wall socket with no filter.

Still getting disconnects (but sometimes I can run for 3 or 4 hours OK.)

I am with Actrix for my phone and broadband.

I have logged another fault with them.

Chorus will come out but charge me if it my problem.

So do I.....

Buy a new modem - its a Netcomm NB5plus4 about 4 years old

Or get new wiring from my wall socket to the telecom street plug (I have no idea where my wall socket is wired to as I am in a downstairs flat)

Or Keep putting pressure on Chorus to fix it once and for all.

Or should I call a private electrician to do it for me ?

Should I ask the landlord to pay for any new wiring ?

I just want a fairly reliable connection, the disconnects are driving me crazy and wasting my time.

But money is an issue, so I cannot afford to waste it on things that might not be the problem.

Is there some way to diagnose it my self ?

Chilling_Silence
16-06-2013, 09:46 PM
Yes, ask the landlord to redo the wiring, get a new router and do an isolation test, and finally if you've got a crackly line, get Actrix to lodge it as that *first* rather than as a broadband fault.

Agent_24
16-06-2013, 10:26 PM
I had an intermittent crackling problem on my line a couple of months ago, turned out the wire out by the road was almost broken off. Technician said when trucks went past it was shaking the wire causing the crackling.

Chilling_Silence
17-06-2013, 10:32 AM
Yeah I've learned that if you have crackling on your line, identify it as a line fault first with your phone provider rather than with your broadband provider, it makes life so much easier :D

dugimodo
17-06-2013, 10:47 AM
+1 report the faulty phone. Broadband issues are difficult to diagnose but when there is an audible issue on a standard phone line it can usually be tracked down and very often sorts the broadband out in the process.

Do the isolation test Chill suggests (unplug everything including filters from all phone jacks and plug the modem directly into the wall socket) and see if you can find the line stats on you router and post those as well. Plug in filters often fail so if you have more than one try swapping them around to see if you can prove it.

Digby
17-06-2013, 11:29 AM
Thanks
Chorus just came and switched me to another "pair"
It seems to be going good now

I bought a new corded phone and that is very clear as well.

Lucky there was a spare pair in the telecom grey box outside my house!
They guy said it was "damaged"

dugimodo
17-06-2013, 12:41 PM
Good result then, fingers crossed it stays that way.
No need for speechmarks on "pair" IMHO :) that's exactly what it is, a pair of wires twisted together. Maybe that just seemed strange to me because I work in the telecoms industry and have been calling them pairs for more than 20 years :) thinking about it I suppose it is an abbreviation of sorts.

Digby
17-06-2013, 07:30 PM
Thanks fot that dugimdo

I always thought that most houses had two sets of wires going to their house, one for phone and one for fax years ago.

He said there were 50 pairs in the grey box, so I was not sure If I am on my last pair, or if they can use just any old spare pair.

I imagine that if each house only has 2 pairs going to it, then once they are both damaged or stuffed, then a major re-wire would be necessary.

Anyway its been going great all day, and my landline phone is as clear as a "bell" (that's in in joke)