PDA

View Full Version : Netgear Modem Router

karbren
16-06-2013, 08:38 PM
I have problem with my modem in that the wireless signal drops quite often and no matter where it is in the house. Even with an expander I cannot get a decent signal to use the internet long enough. Best of all at times you have to restart the modem because some devices can't connect. I have asked questions at the Netgear support and the shop I brought them from but I still have the problem.

Jen
16-06-2013, 08:40 PM
Is it just the wireless connection dropping or the actual internet connection. That is, if you plug your computer into the modem via a network cable does it still lose access to the internet?

How old is the modem?

karbren
16-06-2013, 08:46 PM
Just the wireless connection. I have my PC Ethernet connected. The tech at Netgear reckons its all my kitchen appliances. I do have 3 apple laptops and 2 Ipads plus cell phones connected to it, just all at once. The modem is only 6 months old. The expander was only a matter of weeks but I have sent that back as it turns out to be faulty. Surely a modem can handle the distance in a small house????

Speedy Gonzales
16-06-2013, 08:51 PM
See if there's a firmware update for it

karbren
16-06-2013, 08:56 PM
It has the latest update as I have rung Netgear 3 times and still not sorted. I have teenagers in the house and they complain consistently that they can't stay connected. I also should add that they use and xbox and a PS3 online. This shouldn't interfere with the laptops when they are playing online.

Jen
16-06-2013, 08:59 PM
Have you asked for another modem? A microwave in use can interfere with wireless connection, but apart from that, no other kitchen appliance should cause a problem. Do you have cordless phones? Have you tried turning them off and seeing if the connection remains stable?

karbren
16-06-2013, 09:06 PM
This is the second modem I have after the first one wouldn't update the firmware. I have turned the microwave off and yes I do have a cordless phone. I am aware that both can interfere and when I turned both of them off for a long period it only made things marginally better.

Speedy Gonzales
16-06-2013, 09:13 PM
Put (the modem) on channel 11 if you can. Not AUTO for the wireless. Whats the model of the modem?

karbren
16-06-2013, 09:18 PM
It is on channel 11 and it is a N300 Wireless Gidabit ADSL2+, DGN3500, model DGN 3500

Speedy Gonzales
16-06-2013, 09:27 PM
This sounds similar to your prob (http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=47333). Have you tried another filter? Looks like other people have had the same prob with the same modem

karbren
16-06-2013, 09:33 PM
I have had 3 different filters on there but yes maybe I should try another one

Speedy Gonzales
16-06-2013, 09:34 PM
If its new I would take it back and replace it with something else. Anything but not a netgear

karbren
16-06-2013, 09:45 PM
Thanks I read that posting and can see the similarity there. I will try the two remaining filters and see if they will work. You are talking about the modem itself?

karbren
16-06-2013, 09:57 PM
Have put a telecom filter on and have a slightly better signal but not able to connect my phone to it all weekend.

wainuitech
16-06-2013, 10:58 PM
A lot has to do with the houses well. Been to many places depending on what walls are constructed with, the insulation can cause a drop in signal strength, lower signal strength is a cause of drop outs.

The DGN models often dont have the extra range of the DGND. The one you mentioned is only a lower end modem/Router.