PDA

View Full Version : Buying New PC

johnhb
16-06-2013, 05:18 PM
I've been using a computer for years and years. My old PC has given up the ghost, so I'm buying a new one.

I don't want a printer, and my keyboard, speakers, external hard drive, mouse are all OK but I need to move up to Win 7 on a more powerful machine. I realize it's a bit of a minefield (!) with so many to choose from, which Is why I've come to this notice board to try and get some impartial (!) advice.

I don't want a gaming machine, but do have music files, and want a decent video card, & as big a hard drive as I can afford, ditto ram so I'm up with the play in what's available..

Don't all rush now, but any suggestions? (money's not TIGHT, but of course is an issue!)

Oxie
16-06-2013, 10:42 PM
Have you considered having a PC built to your own specifications? Last weekend I contacted our wonderful computer technician who we call on to rectify any computer problems our family might be having to engage him in building a new PC for my husband. He was able to use the existing case, monitor, keyboard, speakers but everything else was upgraded to what my husband wanted. The old computer was taken away Thursday morning and the new one was fully functional and networked by Friday afternoon. We have had three computers built by this technician for our family over the last few years. If you live in Auckland I am happy to recommend him.

Oxie (Lyn)

Digby
16-06-2013, 11:25 PM
Yes
Are you going to buy one off the shelf ?
Or get someone to build it for you
Or build it yourself ?

Clod
16-06-2013, 11:40 PM
Having a go at building one myself, going to see how the motherboard graphics go (Gigabyte G8-Z87 HD3) as I hear their way better than earlier on board cards. As I'm not really into gaming I'm hoping will be right otherwise I'll get a GTX 650 card or similar (I'll keep a look out for specials).

dugimodo
17-06-2013, 10:10 AM
Wrote a long post and it deleted itself :(
Shortened version;

Budget?, intended use? is a Laptop worth considering? smartphone? Tablet?

Off the shelf - instant purchase, good warranty support, limited upgrade options and software bloat, some nice cases and form factors available.
Custom built - targeted spend, no software bloat, warranty still good but can be trickier to claim on (individual parts have different warranties from different suppliers), modular and upgradable.

Basic advice, any modern dual or quad core is good enough for everyday computing. You want at least 4Gb of RAM and a 3Ghz dual core for most things. For power users and gamers a quad core and 8Gb of RAM or more and a powerful graphics card and beefy PSU is required. Intel chips are faster and use less power, AMD are often cheaper and still very good. Performance per dollar is close either way and not too much of a consideration. At the high end intel are the only serious option with AMD lagging well behind and unable to match the performance of an i7.