PDA

View Full Version : VMware questions

Nerdtastic
15-06-2013, 09:49 PM
I am building a home media pc for my parents. The goal is to have a desktop in one room also connected to the TV. I am going to run VMware over OSX with maybe a linux distro to run XMBC so it will accept a second input from a wireless keyboard. So my questions are, will the linux distro see the hard drive with all the data on it and access it and so can OSX? Also, what hardware will make VMware run more smoothly and less intensively?
Please feel free to comment on the project as a whole with any suggestions.

Thanks

Nick G
15-06-2013, 09:51 PM
The more RAM the better if you're running a virtual box.

Nerdtastic
15-06-2013, 09:54 PM
It will be designed for gaming so I was thinking 8gb?

Nick G
15-06-2013, 10:04 PM
It will be designed for gaming so I was thinking 8gb?
8gbs should be fine. Just if you're running a virtual box and want programs to run pretty well in the virtual box, you want the virtual box to have plenty of ram, as well as the main os.

Nerdtastic
15-06-2013, 10:58 PM
Is it processor intensive? Can I use the host OS for gaming as an example, and watch a movie on Linux?

BTW which distro should I chose as I was looking for something light but easy to use

Nick G
16-06-2013, 10:57 AM
Is it processor intensive? Can I use the host OS for gaming as an example, and watch a movie on Linux?

BTW which distro should I chose as I was looking for something light but easy to use
What CPU do you have? Distro - I'm going to say Mint 13, probably MATE.

Speedy Gonzales
16-06-2013, 11:27 AM
Mint is up to 15 now

Nick G
16-06-2013, 12:07 PM
Mint is up to 15 now
Supported for 9 months. 13 is the LTS, supported until 2017.

Nerdtastic
16-06-2013, 02:48 PM
I am looking at one of the new Haswell i5's? Mint looks good for my purposes. Is there a big difference between the LTS and 15?

plod
16-06-2013, 03:05 PM
I take it you will be running a hackintosh?

Nerdtastic
16-06-2013, 03:10 PM
HELL YEAH!!!!

Nick G
16-06-2013, 07:33 PM
I am looking at one of the new Haswell i5's? Mint looks good for my purposes. Is there a big difference between the LTS and 15? 15 has new stuff, 13 has longer support.

Nerdtastic
16-06-2013, 11:34 PM
15 has new stuff, 13 has longer support.

Might go for 15 then as it will only be running one app and it's not too much of a hassle to upgrade

gary67
17-06-2013, 11:10 AM
Why not just build a headless media server and save all the hassles. I built mine on an old P4 running Amahi home server which is free (you do need CL to get it running though) took me a while as I had to learn the CL's needed. Has now been running for 18months continuously has all our media stored on it and I just made shortcuts on each computer to link to the media.

It just works and no maintenance, certainly much easier than what your proposing and no VM's needed

Nerdtastic
17-06-2013, 02:22 PM
Why not just build a headless media server and save all the hassles. I built mine on an old P4 running Amahi home server which is free (you do need CL to get it running though) took me a while as I had to learn the CL's needed. Has now been running for 18months continuously has all our media stored on it and I just made shortcuts on each computer to link to the media.

It just works and no maintenance, certainly much easier than what your proposing and no VM's needed

Because my family wants a desktop as well so I though I might just as well combine them

Nerdtastic
17-06-2013, 09:32 PM
Has anyone here actually built a hackintosh? sounds like a great idea at first but now I'm a little stuck on the DSDT file and if it's compatible with the brand new hardware.

SolMiester
18-06-2013, 01:46 PM
Im a bit lost here!, you want to use VMware (player?, server?), on a Mac O/s to play a VM which will display video to the TV?....but you still want to game while this is happening?

I dont understand why you think you need a VM to do this?...

dugimodo
18-06-2013, 02:40 PM
Just to play devils advocate, any reason not to consider windows media center ? Nice easy parent friendly interface, works natively with windows remotes, easy to set up....
And another unexpected bonus, windows 8's new start screen people love to hate actually works pretty well with a windows remote.

gary67
18-06-2013, 07:45 PM
Im a bit lost here!, you want to use VMware (player?, server?), on a Mac O/s to play a VM which will display video to the TV?....but you still want to game while this is happening?

I dont understand why you think you need a VM to do this?...

I was a bit stumped by that too. Just play your games and stream from the shared folders, any decent system should be able to do this

Nerdtastic
19-06-2013, 08:44 AM
I'm building it for my parents and my mum can't change the channel on the TV and with a nearly all mac household, they wouldn't even know how to turn a windows computer on let alone work productively with it!
The actual desktop will be in the study for anyone who wants to use it, but it will be connected to the TV. I'll put out current DVD and CD collection onto the computer and have VMware running linux in turn running XBMC (this is so you can control the computer with two inputs), so my little sister can watch peter pan while my mum writes emails or whatever.
It's going to run windows 7 (?) from http://www.windows7key.com/windows-7-key-c-21.html until OSX Mavericks comes out.

The windows dual boot scores me a gaming computer in the process. :D

A little complicated maybe?

SolMiester
19-06-2013, 10:52 AM
I think the VM will just be an added layer of complexity for your folks, even if you are using a VM, only one person has control of the inputs to the PC at once.....If its just to watch your movies and stuff, keep the PC a desktop, but use Plex Media Server and DLNA to the TV, or a Roku if the TV doesnt have network connection.
This way, Plex will serve up the media, via TV remote or Roku remote and the desktop can be used for anything else at same time.

Nerdtastic
19-06-2013, 12:05 PM
I think the VM will just be an added layer of complexity for your folks, even if you are using a VM, only one person has control of the inputs to the PC at once.....If its just to watch your movies and stuff, keep the PC a desktop, but use Plex Media Server and DLNA to the TV, or a Roku if the TV doesnt have network connection.
This way, Plex will serve up the media, via TV remote or Roku remote and the desktop can be used for anything else at same time.

VM can accept a second input http://forum.codecall.net/topic/67707-how-2-users-can-use-one-pc-at-the-same-time/ (scroll down)
I like the XBMC interface and skins, but would Plex be easier?
I'm still going to try to do a hackintosh though.

Thanks for all the replys everyone!