PDA

View Full Version : Internet PC

QW.
14-06-2013, 08:58 PM
I'm currently building a internet PC for a relative. All it will be used for is checking email and using the internet. So question is would I better to install windows or go for Linux?

Would there be any problems using Linux just for internet browsing?

Speedy Gonzales
14-06-2013, 09:01 PM
Nothing wrong with Linux. Just have to figure out how to use it / install updates later tho. Do they want to use Linux, or have they used it before?

QW.
14-06-2013, 09:04 PM
Nothing wrong with Linux. Just have to figure out how to use it / install updates later tho. Do they want to use Linux, or have they used it before?

No they haven't used it before. Their budget isn't that big to include installing of Windows 7 or 8.

Speedy Gonzales
14-06-2013, 09:06 PM
Just as long as they're willing to learn unless they're going to fork out more for windows. Doesnt sound like they've got a choice :lol:

QW.
14-06-2013, 09:10 PM
Just as long as they're willing to learn unless they're going to fork out more for windows. Doesnt sound like they've got a choice :lol:

Not much choice at the moment. Their last one had Windows 7 but I believe you can't transfer license between the old and new machine.

Speedy Gonzales
14-06-2013, 09:15 PM
Is it still being used tho?? Is the old PC dead? If it hasnt been used for 3 mths or so. I do lol. I cant see why not. If it wasnt pre-installed

fred_fish
14-06-2013, 09:16 PM
Choose a stable distro and set up auto updates (cron-apt or such). There will be no maintenance for them to do and they won't be getting infected every other day.

IME a linux based desktop system is no problem for anyone to USE.

The problems start when people who "know stuff about windows" attempt to administer them in the same fashion.

QW.
14-06-2013, 09:18 PM
No they haven't used it since the thing died for no reason. Been using an old Windows XP machine till they could afford a new one to be built.

QW.
14-06-2013, 09:32 PM
Choose a stable distro and set up auto updates (cron-apt or such). There will be no maintenance for them to do and they won't be getting infected every other day.

Which distro would you suggest? And is it fairly easy to setup auto updates.

wainuitech
14-06-2013, 09:33 PM
If they are using windows now, then I'd suggest Linux Mint, its similar layout to XP in several ways, other distros of Linux can be quite different and can confuse people.

zqwerty
14-06-2013, 09:50 PM
Linux Mint, just trying it myself, seems good.

QW.
14-06-2013, 10:55 PM
I guess linux mint will be the way to go. Don't think the windows license on the old machine can be transferred without voiding agreements.

Agent_24
15-06-2013, 12:16 AM
I guess linux mint will be the way to go. Don't think the windows license on the old machine can be transferred without voiding agreements.

If you don't tell Microsoft they won't know... ;)

But more Linux users are always better

Greg
15-06-2013, 01:32 AM
more Linux users are always better
:+1:

Chilling_Silence
15-06-2013, 09:38 AM
I agree, Linux Mint, and then just chuck an easily accessible icon for Chrome. Show them how to run the updates (Little shield icon in their taskbar) and that's literally all you need to show them.

Tell them no more antivirus, no anti-spyware, no defragmenting the HDD, just fire it up, use Chrome, and that's it! :)

Agent_24
15-06-2013, 11:21 AM
Well I'd say Firefox, but each to their own...

dugimodo
15-06-2013, 12:01 PM
Linux is perfect for this as long as they don't decide they want to do other things as well. If they discover a program they want to install or an online game that doesn't work be prepared for that.
I'm still of the opinion Linux is best suited for Enthusiasts who take the time and effort to learn the ins and outs and not that well suited for casual users. Sure it performs the core functions "out of the box" and that is enough for some people but it can also be a headache when someone tries to connect an unsupported bit of hardware to it or wants to add features that aren't in the package manager. Things like printers, Cameras, USB audio devices, smartphones, tablets, etc - may or may not work when plugged in and may or may not have a solution available which a non linux savvy user may or may not be able to do themselves... you get the point.

I'm not a linux user and far from experienced with it. Every year or so I decide to give it a whirl and see if it's got better (and to it's credit it always has). I've been very impressed with how easy it is to install a distro these days and how everything tends to work without hassles initially. I tried Ubuntu and Mint last time, preferred Mint purely because it looked nicer and didn't put the window close button on the opposite side of the window to MS OS's. but after I finish doing some browsing and setting up my E-mail I find I have no real use for Linux and everything else I'm used to doing on a PC requires more research and effort to get working (if it even can) and I go back to windows.

Things I've failed to get working under Linux;
Sound - on an older board and distro but still
My brother MF laser
Games - I really didn't try for long it's just too much hassle
Blu-ray playback (tried various linux versions and XBMC as an experiment with a media PC, ended up using windows media centre with a whole lot more ease)
my old camera that needed software installed on the PC - new one works

These issues are all most likely able to be solved, the point is that a casual linux user like myself is likely to give up in frustration and want to use windows instead.

Agent_24
15-06-2013, 12:14 PM
Hardware support gets better all the time but you are right, some printers and things just don't work well or at all. It's a worthwhile thing to note.

The good thing about Linux though is that once something is supported, it's generally always supported after that. With the latest version of Windows you often find your old devices don't work any more. Not usually the case with Linux.

Greg
15-06-2013, 12:18 PM
use Chrome, and that's it!Or Iron (http://www.srware.net/en/index.php) even, as we've recently discovered ;)

zqwerty
15-06-2013, 09:29 PM
http://fossforce.com/2013/06/best-newbie-distro-you-say-linux-mint/

linw
15-06-2013, 11:03 PM
My sentiments, too, dugi. I just don't want to be around when they ask why this or that windows program won't run!!