PDA

View Full Version : iPad printing!

Paul Ramon
14-06-2013, 11:48 AM
Have a friend who has a couple of laptops printing wirelessly to a Brother printer. She has also purchased an iPad and wants to print from it but cannot see the printer anywhere on the network. The printer is Airprint compatible. The printer is wired to the network via a Thomson TG585 router . Anybody with any solutions to this please?

Speedy Gonzales
14-06-2013, 11:53 AM
Check and see if the firmware, thats currently on the printer supports airprint. You may have to update it first for it to support airprint.

Speedy Gonzales
14-06-2013, 12:20 PM
You may need a wireless network as well. I would remove whatever cable thats connected to the printer, and configure its wireless, and enable / configure the wireless on the modem. Then something might work

Speedy Gonzales
14-06-2013, 12:46 PM
And if the computer that its connected to has wireless on it, configure the wireless on that. Thats probably why the Ipad cant find the printer. Because it's wired.

The printer drivers when you installed them, may have had the option for wired or wireless. Did you / they select it?? On this printer anyway it does, but you have to connect the USB cable so it'll work. After you've selected wireless / installed the drivers, you can remove the USB cable. And you can put the printer anywhere you like. It doesnt have to be physically connected to a computer, to print to it

The modem if its wireless will act as the access point. This is what the Ipad should detect / pick up. Then you can connect it to the wireless network. And if the printer's wireless is enabled (and configured properly, with a password). The Ipad should pick up the AP name / connect to the network. And you should then be able to print to the printer. Same goes for the computer.

SolMiester
14-06-2013, 12:55 PM
And if the computer that its connected to has wireless on it, configure the wireless on that. Thats probably why the Ipad cant find the printer. Because it's wired.

The printer drivers when you installed them, may have had the option for wired or wireless. Did you / they select it?? On this printer anyway it does, but you have to connect the USB cable so it'll work. After you've selected wireless / installed the drivers, you can remove the USB cable. And you can put the printer anywhere you like. It doesnt have to be physically connected to a computer, to print to it

The modem if its wireless will act as the access point. This is what the Ipad should detect / pick up. Then you can connect it to the wireless network. And if the printer's wireless is enabled (and configured properly, with a password). The Ipad should pick up the AP name / connect to the network. And you should then be able to print to the printer. Same goes for the computer.

Wireless printer create ad-hoc connection between the 2 units and is only good for one connection. If the printer is on the network which has wireless access, the ipad should see the airprint function period.

wainuitech
14-06-2013, 12:55 PM
Check and see if the firmware, thats currently on the printer supports airprint. You may have to update it first for it to support airprint. Had that happen a couple of times, with iPads, you need to upgrade the firmware for your printer.

When I spoke to the manufactures in this case it was Canon, I was warned -- Make sure you upgrade the firmware with the printer connected directly to a computer - DONT do it Via wireless or over a LAN, it will fail.

Speedy Gonzales
14-06-2013, 01:05 PM
Yup, I checked beforehand that this printer supported airprint. It had the right firmware version on it, when I brought it.

The program that you use (this is a canon too), once you connect the cable, shows whats on it and will tell you, if it needs to be updated. At the mo, I've installed the drivers on 2 PC's / a desktop / netbook. Have to install them on one more. Have to move / connect the printer with USB to do it. Then it's all go

I like it how you can scan/print wirelessly tho. Once its set up. And that I can put it anywhere in the house. Only thing I havent tried yet is wirelessly fax something