PDA

View Full Version : Bricked a Samsung laptop

Renegade
12-06-2013, 11:55 PM
The owner did a Windows 8 refresh, I guess with the Remove Everything option, not realising that it would nuke all her data/programs, etc. She was really vague about it "I fiddled a bit" - yah, more than a BIT. She had done a Samsung Backup to external HD so I ran the Samsung F4 recovery, it picked up her image off the external. So far so good, 40mins later it's finished.... and now it will only boot into Bios. Re-running the F4 recovery now comes up with a nice .NET Framework error. If you continue you get a blank screen. Have reset the Bios to defaults and mucked around with the boot options but no go. This is pretty much screwed isn't it? Model NP355V5C-S03AU

pcuser42
12-06-2013, 11:57 PM
Format and reinstall. :p

Renegade
13-06-2013, 08:50 AM
Can't even boot from CD/DVD drive :stare:

wainuitech
13-06-2013, 09:25 AM
Can't even boot from CD/DVD drive :stare:

Thats usually because of the Security in the BIOS, you need to open the BIOS and locate the UEFI options and disable it.

Once changed the CD/DVD should boot fine.

That's the same if you try to use F8 to enter safe mode/ Recovery it wont allow it till its been changed, you need to either change it from windows in a elevated command prompt, or from a windows 8 Repair CD, by going into a command prompt and typing the following;

bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

To change it back later you woul dtype in:

bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy standard

Driftwood
13-06-2013, 09:28 AM
Download manual here if you need it.

http://www.samsung.com/nz/consumer/pc-peripherals/notebook-pc/ultra-portable/NP355V5C-S03AU-support

BigBadBob
13-06-2013, 09:28 AM
You may have to do a Factory Restore and then either manually extract data from the backup or attempt the backup restore again. But Wainui's solution is probably the first thing to try...

Renegade
13-06-2013, 04:30 PM
Thats usually because of the Security in the BIOS, you need to open the BIOS and locate the UEFI options and disable it.

Once changed the CD/DVD should boot fine.

That's the same if you try to use F8 to enter safe mode/ Recovery it wont allow it till its been changed, you need to either change it from windows in a elevated command prompt, or from a windows 8 Repair CD, by going into a command prompt and typing the following;

bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

To change it back later you woul dtype in:

bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy standard

Thanks! Booted a Win8 disc fine, and ran chkdsk from command prompt and that has got the Samsung recovery going again. 40% done, hopefully it won't crap itself this time!

wainuitech
13-06-2013, 04:47 PM
Fingers, toes and everything else crossed -- :D

Renegade
13-06-2013, 05:38 PM
Uggh, of the 2 backup images on the external, the most recent (March) must be shot. Did the same thing. The one made in December worked ok, but that has bugger all on it in the way of data as it was pretty new then :D
Looks like Windows did a backup last month and it's pulling some data from there as I type... so it may not be too drastic.