PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 or 8 ?

Clod
12-06-2013, 09:47 PM
Will be getting the important bits to finish my computer build this month (CPU, Ram and Motherboard -decided on Hallswell) Very confused on whether to get Windows 7 or 8. Windows 8 seems to be very complicated from the online reviews I've read and I'm not interested in the touch screen stuff. I'm an XP user at the moment and wonder if Windows 7 would be easier to use or is it just a case of just getting used to 8 as it does have all the latest mod cons. . If I got W8 I'd prefer to wait till version 8.1 came out on disk. What are your thoughts ?

johnd
12-06-2013, 09:51 PM
If you are a MS Windows user then the new style interface will in time become the standard - so my view is you might as well get used to it! I would probably wait for the new release though. As a Ubuntu Unity user at home, I quite like the W8 style of doing things.

pcuser42
12-06-2013, 09:55 PM
Windows 8 is hardly complicated ;)

Personally I'd go for the latest version, as johnd said Metro will become standard (and actually works well with a keyboard and mouse).

As for Windows 8.1, the update will come free through the Store, so you don't lose anything by buying now.

nmercer
12-06-2013, 10:10 PM
Windows 8.1 _Preview_ will be available for download in NZ on June 27

pcuser42
12-06-2013, 10:14 PM
Windows 8.1 _Preview_ will be available for download in NZ on June 27

I wouldn't use that as your main OS though, as you'll have to format to install the RTM version.

Clod
12-06-2013, 10:17 PM
Yes I'm sort of leaning to W8 as it is the latest and the system has to last a few years.

nmercer
12-06-2013, 10:24 PM
I wouldn't use that as your main OS though, as you'll have to format to install the RTM version.

no, you can upgrade Windows 8.1 Preview to Windows 8.1 but apps need to be reinstalled. If you wait for the final version you won't have to reinstall your apps

maybe not for normal users but there will be a lot of people using as their main OS to try it out etc, I know I will be

linw
12-06-2013, 11:57 PM
Get Win 8. You can always set it into desktop mode if that suits you better.