PDA

View Full Version : Dual-Booting Windows 8 and Ubunto 13.04

har
12-06-2013, 08:23 PM
How would do I do this while keeping the Windows 8 data?

Nick G
12-06-2013, 09:06 PM
That isn't too hard to do. However, it would help to see your partitions. Can you open up the windows 8 disk partitioner, take a screenshot, and post it here?

Cheers.

johnd
12-06-2013, 09:47 PM
Installing Ubuntu will not distroy your W8 data unless you do something odd.

If all you want to do is try out Ubuntu, why not try a virtual machine? Download VirtualBox and install Ubuntu into that - much safer if you are not sure what you are doing.

har
13-06-2013, 06:30 PM

This is disk managment

dugimodo
14-06-2013, 10:51 AM
First if you can make a backup image of your drive on an external drive.

Then right click the C: drive and shrink the volume to make space for linux.

Then create a linux install cd or usb, boot from it and install to the unpartitioned space. Most distros will install grub and create a boot menu letting you choose which to boot.

Reversing the process is a little trickier but not too bad, running easy bcd from windows and using it to restore the boot files to C: is one way. Of course you can always restore the image you created...

Nick G
14-06-2013, 11:29 AM
Pretty much as Dugimodo said, I'd change a couple of things though. Shrink your C drive as much as you want, maybe make it 100gbs smaller? Then, make three partitions, leave them all unformatted (doesn't matter if you do format them, but you don't need to). If you did shrink C by 100gbs, this is what I'd do.

Make a 30gb partition
Make a 4gb partition
Make a 66gb partition.

Make your live cd/usb, boot into it, and install Ubuntu. When installing:
Select the 'something else' installation option
Format the 30gb partition as EXT4 and give it the mount point /
Format the 66gbs partition as EXT4, and give it the mount point /home
Use the 4gbs partition as SWAP. (this might be a option under the 'format as', or 'mount point' option (note the 'mount point' may actually be 'use as', I can't remember exactly :)
Finally, install Grub to /dev/sda

By making a / and a /home partition, you're splitting your data and your programs. Your files will go on the /home, your programs on the / partition. Which means its possible to reinstall Ubuntu without losing any files.

Sorted :)

Quick question, will you be using the 64bit version of Ubuntu? I don't believe the 32 bit version works with secure boot.

har
15-06-2013, 03:59 PM
Pretty much as Dugimodo said, I'd change a couple of things though. Shrink your C drive as much as you want, maybe make it 100gbs smaller? Then, make three partitions, leave them all unformatted (doesn't matter if you do format them, but you don't need to). If you did shrink C by 100gbs, this is what I'd do.

Make a 30gb partition
Make a 4gb partition
Make a 66gb partition.

Make your live cd/usb, boot into it, and install Ubuntu. When installing:
Select the 'something else' installation option
Format the 30gb partition as EXT4 and give it the mount point /
Format the 66gbs partition as EXT4, and give it the mount point /home
Use the 4gbs partition as SWAP. (this might be a option under the 'format as', or 'mount point' option (note the 'mount point' may actually be 'use as', I can't remember exactly :)
Finally, install Grub to /dev/sda

By making a / and a /home partition, you're splitting your data and your programs. Your files will go on the /home, your programs on the / partition. Which means its possible to reinstall Ubuntu without losing any files.

Sorted :)

Quick question, will you be using the 64bit version of Ubuntu? I don't believe the 32 bit version works with secure boot. 64-bit. Thanks a lot everyone.