PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive Levels

tirikatene
11-06-2013, 10:25 PM
Recently had my Dell desktop completely reloaded with Win 7 pro - it has a 500gb hard drive.

After a few days I got messages that the drive was full, even though I hadn't reloaded many programmes.

After a thorough clean with various software tools it came back down to having 330gb free?

Then overnight the free spave has reduced to 104gb.

I notice that I have also lost most of the system restore drive, so if its an infection I cant go back before the probelm

Any ideas guys?

Speedy Gonzales
11-06-2013, 10:28 PM
It's probably the extra junk they install on it, like trials etc. System restore maybe using some, run ccleaner and see how much space you get back

tirikatene
11-06-2013, 10:30 PM
Yep - tried CCleaner - System Mechanic - and several malware programs and they come back with nothing or do not improve the free space availablity?

zqwerty
12-06-2013, 12:30 AM
Go here and download SpaceMonger v1.4.0 (2nd from the bottom of the page) after selecting the Free Software tab, pay no attention to the cautions and don't get the modern version. I have done this many times and I have just checked this download on my Win7, it worked flawlessly.

Be careful with the delete option I suggest turning it off on the program's "Setup".

This program is very useful for a graphical representation of what is using your HDD space it will enable you to make a more informed decision as to what to do:

http://www.sixty-five.cc/download/

Choose the Free Software tab.

Make sure you get the version I have specified. 2nd from the bottom.

The download tab is on the right hand side of the page.

I am presuming you will have no trouble unzipping the download onto the desktop.

12-06-2013, 09:52 AM
Recently had my Dell desktop completely reloaded with Win 7 pro - it has a 500gb hard drive.

After a few days I got messages that the drive was full, even though I hadn't reloaded many programmes.

How much space was free after the restore
Just what programs have you reloaded. Any files shares, torrent or P2P programs ?
Did you copy back alot of movies, photos, music files ??

download Windirstat to see just whjats using up all the space
http://windirstat.info/download.html