PDA

View Full Version : Girlfriend having issues with her internet dropping out frequently. Line stats inside

8ftmetalhaed
11-06-2013, 09:35 PM
So my girlfriend's internet keeps dying. I gave her my netcomm nbplus4wn a while back, set it up a couple weeks ago to replace their decade old telecom wireless router.

They're running a fair few devices on the network, one 4 or 5 port switch with a laptop, desktop and network media player on it, one desktop directly into the router.
Other than that there's an xbox, TV and the occasional tablet or two on the wireless, so network traffic is a bit heavier than I used to put on it.

Just checking the stats with teamviewer, this is what she's getting at the moment.

Suggestions welcome. They're with telecom in pt chev. As far as I can tell the router itself isn't going down, just the ADSL. I've asked girly to check her media box when it does go down again to confirm.

Speedy Gonzales
11-06-2013, 10:02 PM
Is SP3 on it if shes using wireless on it? Try updating the NIC / wireless drivers on it

Speedy Gonzales
11-06-2013, 10:16 PM
Also try unticking the first option for the wireless adapter in device manager, under the power management tab - allow the computer to turn off this device to save power. See if this helps

8ftmetalhaed
11-06-2013, 10:48 PM
Pardon, should've explained a bit more
She's hooked up over ethernet, should've mentioned that.
The modem log shows ADSL dropouts, though because of that I can't check network functionality myself when that happens. I just see the ADSL drop and reconnect in the modem log.

I was wondering if anyone had any insight into why it might be happening based on line stats and such. All the devices lose ADSL, not sure of network functionality. I don't THINK so, given the modem keeps on logging, but again, can't check for 100% certainty myself.

Lawrence
12-06-2013, 07:45 AM
Your downstream looks alright but upstream does not look right

Get them to get the ISP to run a line check first or maybe a wiring problem

Chilling_Silence
12-06-2013, 10:36 AM
^^ I'd go with Lawrence's suggestion before looking at the PC.
You can also do an isolation test, unplug *everything* (Including all filters) except for the router and see if the issue persists. Could be a filter doing something funky.

linw
12-06-2013, 10:38 AM
If there is adsl2+ service in her location the downstream speed is too low as well. That should be around 17,000 not 11,000. 11,000 is more like adsl1 speed.

Like Lawrence says, she needs to check with the service provider but house wiring may also be the problem. A master filter would fix that.

8ftmetalhaed
12-06-2013, 12:03 PM
I imagine they'll maybe replace the lines at some point, the house is quite an old one in Pt Chev that is currently being renovated by her sister.
I'll check with her tonight if the issue's persisting and get her to check the filters and such. Might also suggest they install some Cat5/6 and a filter and all that too.

Greg
12-06-2013, 12:03 PM
Girlfriend having issues

They're running
Urm... the question begs to be asked... how many girlfriends exactly? :xmouth:

pcuser42
12-06-2013, 12:14 PM
Urm... the question begs to be asked... how many girlfriends exactly? :xmouth:

Pretty sure by "they're" he's talking about the household ;)

linw
12-06-2013, 01:31 PM
But, on the other hand.........

Alex B
12-06-2013, 01:46 PM
Get a master filter installed, CoffeeBaron on Geekzone does the for around $150 in the Auckland area.

Greg
12-06-2013, 02:08 PM
Pretty sure by "they're" he's talking about the household ;)lol :D

But in certain societies a "household" could mean "harem". Hmm.

8ftmetalhaed
12-06-2013, 09:55 PM
But, in the other hand.........
FTFY
:lol:

Seriously though, yeah it's my gf, a flatmate, and girlfriend's sister and bf (they just bought the place from the grandparents).
I do have my doubts that it's the router though. I mean come on, it's a netcomm as recommended by chill. He wouldn't put you wrong if you paid him.
ok maybe if you paid him, but he'd probably complain about it.
or tell you dicksmiths would be better at it than he was.

8ftmetalhaed
12-06-2013, 11:54 PM
have some copy paste from my lovely lady:
House wiring was updated (phone-wise) probably about 20 years ago when my aunt/uncle moved in. we had it checked 5 years or so ago when i moved in with the ex because he worked for telecom and we were unimpressed with line speed. we're too far from the exchange (apparently) for anything great, but we have a cabinet 3 or 4 streets away (on tui st). Max upload has never been great, max download has never clocked more than about 1Mbps, more often than not its hovering around the 500/600kbps range.
we're lucky if we get anywhere near 1Mb for download.

also, have a speedtest result
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2768518544.png

Chilling_Silence
13-06-2013, 12:03 AM
Still thinking the disconnects are related to that upload, they should be getting better...

mzee
13-06-2013, 07:39 PM
I had a similar situation for several months. To cut a very long story short, a tech from Chorus connected the spare pair of wires, apparently there are two pairs of wires in the cable from the cabinet to your house. Anyway, the problem seems to be fixed.

Chilling_Silence
13-06-2013, 09:56 PM
I had a similar situation for several months. To cut a very long story short, a tech from Chorus connected the spare pair of wires, apparently there are two pairs of wires in the cable from the cabinet to your house. Anyway, the problem seems to be fixed.

Yeah they can change the pairs, start by lodging a fault with the ISP and they can escalate from there...

Agent_24
13-06-2013, 11:15 PM
Get a master filter installed, CoffeeBaron on Geekzone does the for around $150 in the Auckland area.

If the problem goes on long enough Telecom would probably give you one for free. They did for me.