PDA

View Full Version : LPT port not recognised - settings

04-12-2001, 08:44 AM
In a previous post re installing a canon scanner, I mentioned that I had upgraded to W2000 Professional from Win98SE.

Previously the scanner FB320P worked fine. Now it does not recognise the scanner device, which operates via the parallel port.

The LPT port is not being recognised in the ports section of device manager.
The LPT is not disabled in the CMOS BIOS tables and the setting is to AUTO and EPP as required by the scanner.

Now I have tried to install a new HP1200 laser printer and have the same problem. The laser printer is not being picked up under ?new hardware? but I managed to set a LPT port with a configuration, which the system says has ?no conflicts?. However, to print a test page is not possible and I get a message saying there was an error.

It seems to me that the 2 problems are the same, ie the LPT port recognition and settings for it.

Can anyone help me please.

04-12-2001, 12:41 PM
Has something else stolen it's IRQ? Does BIOS offer different levels of EPP?
Maybe a BIOS upgrade for m/board is in order?

04-12-2001, 12:43 PM
If you tried to add an LPT port in add new hardware, and manually gave it some resorces, then it won't get recognised, because phisically it's not there.

The only way it will work is if you let windows search for new hardware. Try this but delete the LPT port you currently have first.

If windows can't find it, then the only other thing I can suggest is changing it again in the bios to one of the other settings, ECP/EPP, and try again.

If windows still can't find it, make sure the parallel ribbon cable is phisically pluged into your mother board.

04-12-2001, 01:03 PM
Mmmm.

First, the printer is new, so it ought to work. Try getting it going on its own. NEVER NEVER EVER, try to make two changes/installations at a time.

Make sure that you have removed all installed printers and scanners from the Windows system. Then shutdown, power off, and plug in the printer.

The printer may want ECP, and even a brand-new IEE1284 cable. Check its manual carefully for anything like that. Its problems will be different to the scanner's, but your idea of setting the IO port address to 378 might help the scanner (which might be old enough to expect an ISA port), and won't hurt the printer.

I don't like 'sharing' ports, and the clevererer printers get the lesss I like them. If you have a spare slot, a good idea would be to put in another printer port, so that each device can have one.

If you can't get the printer going, try to borrow an old dotmatrix or other non-clever printer, and see if you can send text to it (even by the dos command 'copy a_text_file LPT1:'. Parallel ports can fail.

After you get the printer going (showing confidence here...) try poweroff, plug in the scanner, poweron, and see if it installs.