PDA

View Full Version : RAM programs

03-12-2001, 10:27 PM
HI all,

Just a query regarding these RAM programs and internet programs which claim to free up and thus speed up your RAM, and also speed up your internet connections......

Do they work? Or dp they just pretend to!!!???

Two in particular I've seen seem to look okay but the whole idea seem kinda junky to me, that is, if it can be done, why don't PC's come standard with this software?

releaseram.com
broadbandwizard.net

are the ones I was looking at...........

03-12-2001, 11:07 PM
they don't do much good, in fact they can make things worse. if you want ram, get the real thing - its very cheap now. faster net - get jetstream or similar. those speed programs have been around a long time & i remember one computer mag said they were rubbish & that software company was being taken to court.

03-12-2001, 11:13 PM
I thought that was the case, just thought I'd check.....in case they'd actually advanced to the realms of usefullness!!!!

03-12-2001, 11:24 PM
i hate run all the time tweak progs. a lot of the time what you gain with the tweak you lose by haveing another prog running.

ram cleaners/defragers/optomiser are only usefull if you are dealing with buggy progs and very little ram. so the first step is to upgrade the ram.
the real problem (win9x/me) is resoures. more progs you are running the less resoures you get to use.
however i do recomend tweaking windows settings. i prefer cacheman myself but there are other progs out there that do the same thing at the same cost-free!

internet speed progs generaly tweak windows registry settings. there are plenty of free and paid progs that will save you editing the registery manualy. have a look at www.speedguide.net

04-12-2001, 01:21 AM
Hi Craig, most of the time they are just junk..... I have learnt in my short timespan in the computing world, to keep it minimal - usually when I feel tempted to download one of those programs, it just puts conflicts on my system. I prefer to have fun listening to music downloads, surfing the net or chatting on ICQ to spending countless hours trying to sort PC conflicts out!...... RINGO

04-12-2001, 07:11 AM
I have found that some rum programs do help. The one I use is RUMFIX 1.2 here is the web site www.ramfix.co or you can download from ZDnet.
Ken

04-12-2001, 10:04 AM
My understanding of the Ram programs (I may be wrong here) is that most of them just flush whatever is in the ram to the swapfile and then whatever programs are running pick up what they really need from the swapfile and stick it back in the Ram. The idea seems to be this - some software leaves .dll's and the like in the ram when they are shut down (through inefficient coding) and by unloading all the ram to the swapfile these now unused .dll etc files are effectively removed from the ram leaving more space for the programs that are actually still running.

Some games when released have memory leaks and thats when these ram flushers really show what they can do. With a memory leak the ram slowly gets filled with unused stuff the game called on and the PC slows down then hangs or crashes in some way. By using the Ram program every 10-15 minutes while playing a game with a memory leak you can keep it going without to much hassle.

08-12-2001, 11:20 PM
I use cacheman myself very good program and i have 768 megs of ram plus i use downloader acclerator plus which really does speed up downloads both are worth having on your pc plus of course zonealarm plus and norton 2002.