PDA

View Full Version : Wireless networking options...

03-12-2001, 12:52 PM
Hey there everyone, this is just my mind going off on tangents really...

I'm wondering what, if anything, I can do to network with a house which is probably a good 2-3km away. I'd rather not have an external company take care of it, and I'm just really looking into it to see what the actual possibility is.

Thanks for any input,
James

03-12-2001, 02:33 PM
James

I am not sure how far you can go with wireless ethernet these days but could go 8 miles with a booster aerial when I looked a while back. More like a kilometre without the booster.

Very much depends on range of individual products, but you want some security with wireless ethernet.

Robo.

03-12-2001, 02:46 PM
firstly is the two house in line of site of each other. it gets real fun if there aren't.
the transmitting power you are looking at to insure good connection (rf wise, lazer might be different) you are looking at getting 'commerical gear' as opossed to 'home gear'.

i would start buy talking to some 'external companys' on what equip you will need plus cost. the install is easy enough.

don't forget what u transmit others can pick up also ;-)

04-12-2001, 05:46 PM
There is no cheap way.

If you are on a farm, you can run your own wires legally. If you are going across public land (roads or even through other people's properties) ,although he old Post Office monopoly does not completely operate, the legal and safety requirements would make it impossible.

There are cheapish UHF radio links. They either have very limited bandwidth (9600 bps), or very limited range. Or both.

There are expensive boards -- the Proxim ISA cards I have cost about $1k new. Each. They use a frequency hoppping mode about 2.450 GHz,and with a directional antenna on each would probably do 2-3 km. But they use a proprietary protocol, and run at about 1MHz data rate.

Some of the newer ones work with a hub and slave modules. I think they connect to standard Ethernet (10MHz). I suspect that you would need a couple of the hubs to get the maximum range. They are designed for short range -- a few hundred metres in the open, and through a few (not too substantial) walls.

Any RF unit is very low power to be legally usable without a licence. The power is calculated to ensure a short range, to reduce the mutual interference.

11-12-2001, 01:06 PM
If you have good line of sight then you could get a resonable rate using wireless technology. It uses the free 2.4 GHz frequency, and if you buy a card (with an external antenna) you could go up to 20-30 miles.

go to
http://nz.wirelessanarchy.com/
or
http://melbwireless.x.net.au/

Im looking to setup a community wireless network in Hamilton. if anyone is interested contact me directly via email