PDA

View Full Version : Need a new Wireless Router

EFFIGY
09-06-2013, 02:52 PM
Hi there. It has finally happened, the router that Vodafone supplied has ceased to function wirelessly. This was determined after a two and a half hour call with their support center (who were excellent). There is no way I am taking another one of their manky routers, I'll take a credit on my bill in lieu.
But what to buy now?
I had a NetComm NB6plus4wn and gave it away when we switched to Vodafone - its still going strong :(
What's the best wireless router out there for a family budget these days? I need good range as we are rural and rather spread out, it also needs to be compatible with my Net Gear Range extender (WN200rpt) It will be supplying 2 laptops a desktop gamer and an iPad.
Advice please :wub

Chilling_Silence
09-06-2013, 06:52 PM
Get a DrayTek DV120 and a TP-Link TL-WR1043ND (Put Gargoyle firmware on it).

Guide on my blog, in my signature. Rock solid setup, excellent value for money, relatively easy setup, and some *awesome* features! :)

pcuser42
09-06-2013, 06:58 PM
Get a DrayTek DV120

Slightly off-topic, where from? Can't find any :p

The Error Guy
09-06-2013, 10:10 PM
PB Tech (For the TP Link) http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=NETTPL1043

Dunno for the Draytech, need to get one for myself.

Agent_24
09-06-2013, 11:24 PM
Slightly off-topic, where from? Can't find any :p

A friend of mine couldn't find one recently either.

Chilling_Silence
10-06-2013, 10:45 AM
The NZ Supplier for DrayTek (SnapperNet) were out of stock for about two weeks, that's why PBTech had none. SnapperNet don't sell directly to the end-user.

EFFIGY
10-06-2013, 02:02 PM
Ok Chill, I am still getting to grips with what I am reading on your blogs...

Question 1 - http://www.alphacity.co.nz/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=228_236&products_id=49325 = The right one yes?
Question 2 - Will the Tp-link do on its own until the Draytek is back in stock?

I don't quite yet understand why I need both. I will keep reading, but a potted version would be appreciated if you have time please.

Nick G
10-06-2013, 02:38 PM
Ok Chill, I am still getting to grips with what I am reading on your blogs...

Question 1 - http://www.alphacity.co.nz/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=228_236&products_id=49325 = The right one yes?
Question 2 - Will the Tp-link do on its own until the Draytek is back in stock?

I don't quite yet understand why I need both. I will keep reading, but a potted version would be appreciated if you have time please.
One gives you wifi, you need the other one to get internet access ;)

Chilling_Silence
10-06-2013, 02:53 PM
Yeah so in a nutshell the DrayTek is what actually *connects* you to the internet, but it then gives over the reigns to the TP-Link (Running Gargoyle) which does all the "heavy lifting" as such. The Gargoyle Router though doesn't have the ability to connect to the internet through ADSL broadband which is why you need the DrayTek DV120.

You can use the TP-Link along with your current Vodafone router for now, and just order a DrayTek when they're back in stock.

It's probably also worth mentioning that if you ever upgraded to UFB or similar, you can then just drop the DV120 and use JUST the TP-Link Gargoyle router, which is nice to know you've future-proofed yourself! :)

EFFIGY
10-06-2013, 03:17 PM
Thank you so much :) now I have a handle on it all - and Question 1 (the TpLink I linked you to at Alpha City) is the right one? Its way cheaper than I thought I was going to have to spend, I am rapt.

The Error Guy
10-06-2013, 03:33 PM
Just remember the Alpha city one doesn't have GST added on the price (it's about $80 with GST) - I have not delt personally with Alpha myself but can recommend PBTech whom I linked earlier. Similar price.

Not to say Alpha is a bad choice! I just have no personal experience with them :)

pcuser42
10-06-2013, 03:43 PM
I tried ordering a DV120 from AplhaCity, and when it hadn't showed up after a week I inquired with them where it was, and they said the modem had been damaged by the supplier who had also forgotten to tell them - I got my money back.

So they're not great, but not completely hopeless.

EFFIGY
10-06-2013, 04:03 PM
I have literally spent $ thousands with them, never ever have I had a problem. I once ordered a wrong part and they still exchanged it even though it was my mistake. I love them.

Nick G
10-06-2013, 04:17 PM
Thank you so much :) now I have a handle on it all - and Question 1 (the TpLink I linked you to at Alpha City) is the right one? Its way cheaper than I thought I was going to have to spend, I am rapt.
Yep, that's the one. I've got one of those, they're great.
Draytek will be about the same price when they're back in stock.

The Error Guy
10-06-2013, 05:25 PM
Great then, Alpha city is on my "good places" list :)