PDA

View Full Version : Windows Live Mail and Windows Sky drive and emailed photos

John H
09-06-2013, 12:34 PM
Hi folks

My son and his father in law both have Win7 PCs (which I do not have). When they email photos using Windows Live Mail, they turn up on something called Windows Sky Drive and the recipient either views a slide show or download all. A complete pain in my opinion, but so it goes.

My son's father in law asked for my help yesterday - he had emailed some pix to a newsletter editor for inclusion with an article, and the editor reported that the photos were too fuzzy to be included - they were useless. I tried sending an email with attachments from the father in law's PC as a test, and damn me, they turn up on Sky Drive automatically. They had been reduced from approx 3 MB per pic to around 70kb. I assume that is why they were unusable for publication.

I couldn't find a way of circumventing Sky Drive - I wanted the pics to go to the email recipient with me in control of image size the way I am with Outlook - email sender to email recipient without some b.... cloud intermediary stuffing things around and probably storing the pics as well.

In the short time I had available I couldn't find a work around - can someone tell me:
a) are you doomed to this sort of malarkey if you use Live Mail?
b) is there a workaround so that SkyDrive can be avoided?
c) is there a way of sending full size images even if Live Mail/Sky drive incest cannot be avoided?

Thanks for any advice.

wainuitech
09-06-2013, 01:05 PM
You don't have to use skydrive, set up MANY PC's with Live mail and none have a windows live account or use skydrive.

A lot has to do with how you send the mails.

If you use "Photo Email"or right click the picture send to mail recipient , or try sending from Windows Live Photo Gallery - it will go Via skydrive and resize the picture, if you write a mail, then click attach, navigate to the pictures attach them, they wont resize, and send as normal.

I use Windows Live mail for personal use on one account, and Outlook for Business, NEVER had any go via Skydrive from either.

John H
09-06-2013, 01:13 PM
Thanks Wainuitech. What you say about "If you right click the picture, (snip) - send to mail recipient it will go Via skydrive and resize the picture, (snip)." seems to be the solution, because I did indeed right click the pictures, and send to mail recipient.

Thanks for the quick solution - I will email the other grandpa and tell him how to avoid this happening again.

fred_fish
09-06-2013, 01:58 PM
and probably storing the pics as well.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/legal/intellectualproperty/copyright/default.aspx

by posting, uploading, inputting, providing or submitting ("Posting") your Submission you are granting Microsoft, its affiliated companies and necessary sublicensees permission to use your Submission in connection with the operation of their Internet businesses (including, without limitation, all Microsoft Services), including, without limitation, the license rights to: copy, distribute, transmit, publicly display, publicly perform, reproduce, edit, translate and reformat your Submission; to publish your name in connection with your Submission; and the right to sublicense such rights to any supplier of the Services.

No compensation will be paid with respect to the use of your Submission, as provided herein

John H
09-06-2013, 04:38 PM
B....y scary eh? I wonder how many people realise what is in the small print when they use Skydrive and other Microsoft "Services"?

nmercer
09-06-2013, 11:13 PM
except those aren't the Microsoft SkyDrive Ts & Cs

these are
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-live/microsoft-services-agreement

3.1. Who owns the content that I put on the services? Content includes anything you upload to, store on, or transmit through the services, such as data, documents, photos, video, music, email and instant messages ("content"). Except for material that we license to you that may be incorporated into your own content (such as clip art), we don't claim ownership of the content you provide on the services. Your content remains your content, and you are responsible for it. We strongly advise you to make regular back-up copies of your content. We don't control, verify, pay for or endorse the content that you and others make available on the services.

nmercer
09-06-2013, 11:15 PM
B....y scary eh? I wonder how many people realise what is in the small print when they use Skydrive and other Microsoft "Services"?

probably the same % of people who use Google and Facebook "Services"

fred_fish
10-06-2013, 09:18 AM
except those aren't the Microsoft SkyDrive Ts & Cs
Yes, you're correct.
I got my quote from the T&C on this page (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/skydrive/skydrive-help#skydrive-help=tab1).
Re-reading, it appears that is for use of the site itself, rather than the service/product. My bad.

While you are here ... it would be great if you could let us all know exactly what information is being collected from MS customers in NZ that is being made available (without their knowlege or consent) to foreign agencies that are not subject to NZ laws or oversight?

dugimodo
10-06-2013, 09:56 AM
I'd have suggested using webmail or something or installing a different E-mail client, but it looks like the problem is already solved.

Yes, you're correct.
While you are here ... it would be great if you could let us all know exactly what information is being collected from MS customers in NZ that is being made available (without their knowlege or consent) to foreign agencies that are not subject to NZ laws or oversight?

Yeah good luck with that Fred, even if he knew the answer he wouldn't be allowed to tell us. Here's a thought, treat everything you send or put on the "internet" as if someone official might see it and understand nobody really cares what's on your computer or e-mail. I'm not paranoid, I don't have anything more than mildly embarrassing to hide and don't think somebody somewhere is filtering through all my stuff trying to find something on me. Only those with something to hide need to worry, having details about you recorded amongst millions of others is near enough to anonymous in most circumstances anyway. Still if it's the principal of the thing you object to fair enough, I just can't get worked up about it myself.

John H
10-06-2013, 10:44 AM
I'd have suggested using webmail or something or installing a different E-mail client, but it looks like the problem is already solved. (snip)

Thanks. Yes, I did think of installing Thunderbird (for example), but the computer user concerned is 80 and has come to computing late in life, so I hoped I could find the least complicated solution. Wainuitech supplied that and the reasoning behind it, so all is well.

fred_fish
10-06-2013, 11:06 AM
I'd have suggested using webmail or something or installing a different E-mail client, but it looks like the problem is already solved.

Yeah good luck with that Fred, even if he knew the answer he wouldn't be allowed to tell us. Here's a thought, treat everything you send or put on the "internet" as if someone official might see it and understand nobody really cares what's on your computer or e-mail. I'm not paranoid, I don't have anything more than mildly embarrassing to hide and don't think somebody somewhere is filtering through all my stuff trying to find something on me. Only those with something to hide need to worry, having details about you recorded amongst millions of others is near enough to anonymous in most circumstances anyway. Still if it's the principal of the thing you object to fair enough, I just can't get worked up about it myself.

Yep, sorry for dragging the thread OT, this should be in the other thread, but nmercer is here in this one...

even if he knew the answer he wouldn't be allowed to tell us.The US gag laws on data collection don't (yet) apply here.

I too am fairly sure I have nothing to hide personally (from law enforcement anyway, currently) but I also deal with other peoples data and commercially sensitive information.
If a software supplier cannot provide an assurance as to the security of that information (with respect to the NZ laws that I am subject to and that my customers expect me to be in compliance with) then said software is not suitable for use in any such business in this country.

I think most people do have a "so what" attitude to these issues, but my opinion is that our lives and livelihoods are becoming more and more 'online' and the current information "land-grab" is, right now, determining the future landscape of the society we will be living in, and has some concerning implications for the sovereignty of our country and the ability to live under laws that we have an opportunity to change via our own democratic process.

Of course, I could be completely off track, they're all good guys really, and the only reason for all this spying is to keep us safe from those evil tourists... (although given the numbers of deaths involved I would have thought domestic gun control might be further up the list for the US than international terrorism - just sayin')