PDA

View Full Version : I'd like to propose a new forum.

Vince
08-06-2013, 02:45 PM
It is getting harder to find useful information on the web. Sites like Google are getting clogged with useless non information, misinformation and contradictory information.

I have visited many forums and other sites that claim to have the answers to tech problems and don't.

None of these forums is as good as PressF1!
Most don't come close, and some shouldn't even exist.

Even PressF1 is unhelpful some times with posts that don't help us get to the answer, or introduce an element of confusion; or irrelevancy.

What I am proposing is a site that has only answers that have been found to work; and explanations that explain things so that a non expert can understand them.

The site could provide links to answers elsewhere on the web as well.

Many of these answers and explanations already exist on PressF1. We have the best software to run such a site lets use it to gather them together in a site that could be called "Problem Solved.com" or some such and make the world a somewhat better place.

wainuitech
08-06-2013, 02:59 PM
To late there already are several.

Assuming the current PF1 closes, which going by reports from various sources wont be to far in the future they are already up and running. If the PC World magazine closes down you'll find the forum wont be that far behind. A while ago the reason for closing chat ( given by Fairfax) was the cost factor, then they changed their minds and cancelled it, but that wont last long.

Even PressF1 is unhelpful some times with posts that don't help us get to the answer Welcome to the real world. :p Sometimes a problem is not easily solved, or there can be several possible causes and several possible answers for the same problem, Sometimes people don't explain things as they really are - remember no one on any forum can see the persons computer desktop unless they have a remote connection to it.

Sometimes a person has to actually be in front of the problem computer.

Edited: As an example, I got a customers computer here right now, it sometimes freezes, and I bet anything you like no one could tell me why if I posted the problem - but sitting in front of it - I spotted it within 5 minutes.

coldot
08-06-2013, 03:52 PM
There is so much real help contained in the discussion around any one problem. I'm sure that many readers of PF1 have gained insight into their problems from discussions around others' problems.
I suggest that even Microsoft doesn't always have the answer: Recently I sought MS advice on a red flag in XP notifications which claimed that virus protection was not activated even when MSSE was known to be fully active. MS claimed never to have seen the particular problem and had about four "maybe" solutions. On that basis I don't believe there could be any possibility of such an accurate, infallible forum as is proposed.
I'll continue to watch PF1 and exercise my own discretion as to what it believe, what I accept and what I reject. It is the prerogative of any reader of PF1.

CYaBro
08-06-2013, 04:25 PM
To late there already are several.

Assuming the current PF1 closes, which going by reports from various sources wont be to far in the future they are already up and running. If the PC World magazine closes down you'll find the forum wont be that far behind. A while ago the reason for closing chat ( given by Fairfax) was the cost factor, then they changed their minds and cancelled it, but that wont last long.

Welcome to the real world. :p Sometimes a problem is not easily solved, or there can be several possible causes and several possible answers for the same problem, Sometimes people don't explain things as they really are - remember no one on any forum can see the persons computer desktop unless they have a remote connection to it.

Sometimes a person has to actually be in front of the problem computer.

Edited: As an example, I got a customers computer here right now, it sometimes freezes, and I bet anything you like no one could tell me why if I posted the problem - but sitting in front of it - I spotted it within 5 minutes.

Well??? What was it? :D

wainuitech
08-06-2013, 05:12 PM
Well??? What was it? :D When the PC is cold everything starts up is fine. The Graphics can freeze at random times, you can hear the HDD working and the activity light is flashing so the actual HDD / has not frozen. Thinking it may be a graphic card removed the card and tested on another PC ( card worked fine), and putting in another known good card on the PC the same problem existed. checked everything and its all looking and feeling OK.

The problem was found by complete chance, beside the CPU are a few rows of chips, one chip in particular didn't look to be right for some reason, to test it, while it was working reached in and put pressure on the chip - instant freeze = out with the small soldering iron, resoldered the leg secure - has not frozen since. Not to sure if it was the heat or fan vibration that caused it to move.

Its a socket 1156 board = so they are rare these days.

Vince
08-06-2013, 05:17 PM
I suggest you try reading my post carefully, so you "maybe" understand it.:)

Vince
08-06-2013, 05:27 PM
There is so much real help contained in the discussion around any one problem. I'm sure that many readers of PF1 have gained insight into their problems from discussions around others' problems.
I suggest that even Microsoft doesn't always have the answer: Recently I sought MS advice on a red flag in XP notifications which claimed that virus protection was not activated even when MSSE was known to be fully active. MS claimed never to have seen the particular problem and had about four "maybe" solutions. On that basis I don't believe there could be any possibility of such an accurate, infallible forum as is proposed.
I'll continue to watch PF1 and exercise my own discretion as to what it believe, what I accept and what I reject. It is the prerogative of any reader of PF1.

What I am proposing is a resource, or source for solved problems, like wanting to know what your webcam sees in Vista, Win7 or 8.
As you may know I recently discovered it. I would like to share it widely; not just with a small circle.
I have made several discoveries lately.

pcuser42
08-06-2013, 05:30 PM
I suggest you try reading my post carefully, so you "maybe" understand it.:)

dat attitude.

Vince
08-06-2013, 05:32 PM
Why argue against a good thing.

This is not a place to bring problems, there are many of them.
It would be a source of already solved issues.

wainuitech
08-06-2013, 05:34 PM
I suggest you try reading my post carefully, so you "maybe" understand it.:) I did read it a couple of times, and sorry but you are wrong in a few places. There are plenty of existing forums that do exactly what you say is missing to a certain defgree. Theres a couple of forums about that make PF1 look like a novice place with so many different sections relating to just about every type of problem.

What I am proposing is a site that has only answers that have been found to work; And just WHO do you propose is going to do that, who is going to moderate it and make sure every answer is correct for every problem -- Go ahead make your own forum, do everything you propose -- In other words whats stopping you ?

What you are suggesting would be a nightmare -- saying collect all the forums with correct answers to certain problems and put them in one called "Problem Solved.com" -- Good luck with that - I'm sure the forums would totally agree to link them to another -- Obviously not thought of the work that would be required. Which goes back to my previous comment

Go ahead make your own forum, In other words whats stopping you ?

Terry Porritt
08-06-2013, 06:36 PM
It seems to me that there are too many people around these days that just want everything handed to them on a plate without using their own brains in any way, a ready made solution to every problem.

Life is just not like that, there are too many variables and variations on themes etc.

Years ago, PressF1 used to have a heading along the lines of being a place to help people help themselves., ie. pointing people in a direction where they could solve the problem themselves.

Greg
08-06-2013, 08:05 PM
like wanting to know what your webcam sees in Vista, Win7 or 8.
As you may know I recently discovered it..Urm.... doesn't it just "see" what its pointed to? Which is viewable on your monitor? Crikey! (or should that be Eureka!)

Myth
09-06-2013, 01:19 AM
In regards to the OP; I would suggest maybe set up a blog site with all the helpful info you do find
Quite a few people do that already.. so you could even start linking to them as you find them

Agent_24
09-06-2013, 12:43 PM
It's not a bad idea. There are databases of faults and the solution(s) available for TV repair etc. Each service company usually keeps their own records too.

BUT like Wainuitech said, a free, public database that tried to encompass all computer faults would be _hard_ to keep running. There are so many variables in hardware\software etc it's not funny. Very different from "Model XYZ123 TV, no sound: Check Q12 for short" for example.

Microsoft already has a good knowledgebase of known Windows bugs and issues, but of course they only cover Windows and other Microsoft products. There are many other known bugs and problems lists for or from other companies.

However, you still need the Google skills to find them.

FoxyMX
10-06-2013, 06:16 PM

Now that is the answer in a nutshell. Many many times I have eventually found the answer to what I was looking for once I finally worked out the correct search terms. That, to me, is the hardest part about searching for answers - knowing what to ask and because I usually don't my Google skills are pathetic. :(

beama
12-06-2013, 03:17 PM
Even if PF1 closes theres always the wayback archive Try typing that into google

Vince
13-06-2013, 09:43 PM
"Edited: As an example, I got a customers computer here right now, it sometimes freezes, and I bet anything you like no one could tell me why if I posted the problem - but sitting in front of it - I spotted it within 5 minutes."

What I am proposing is not another PressF1. It does already exist after all.

What I am proposing is a resource of found 'solutions'.

No problem constructing it; anyone who knows of a solution can add it. Like Wikipedia.

Vince
14-06-2013, 08:20 AM
Here's one.

" I thought I'd code a quick app for you
you will need dot net framework to use it, but you will probably have it allready even if you dont know if you have or not lol.
If you would like it customized or more functions added or something just let me know, I'm always keen for making bits and pieces

here is the download link for you

Vince
14-06-2013, 08:26 AM
"here is the download link for you" was the link. It didn't come through as such.

It is post No. 12 on this page.
http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?133821-Converting-minutes-to-houres-amp-minutes&p=1168111#post1168111

Vince
14-06-2013, 08:28 AM
"here is the download link for you" was the link. It didn't come through as such.

It is post No. 12 on this page.

http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?133821-Converting-minutes-to-houres-amp-minutes&p=1168111#post1168111

Vince
14-06-2013, 08:40 AM
Now that is the answer in a nutshell. Many many times I have eventually found the answer to what I was looking for once I finally worked out the correct search terms. That, to me, is the hardest part about searching for answers - knowing what to ask and because I usually don't my Google skills are pathetic. :(

That is part of the problem, for sure. I remember several years ago - a member of this forum found, first try, the thing I had spent 1/2 hour Googleing without luck the previous evening!! His search terms were almost identical.
How do you spell Googleing? I just Googled it. "Googilng" is the answere; add to dictionary.

Vince
14-06-2013, 08:50 AM
It's not a bad idea. There are databases of faults and the solution(s) available for TV repair etc. Each service company usually keeps their own records too.

BUT like Wainuitech said, a free, public database that tried to encompass all computer faults would be _hard_ to keep running. There are so many variables in hardware\software etc it's not funny. Very different from "Model XYZ123 TV, no sound: Check Q12 for short" for example.

Microsoft already has a good knowledgebase of known Windows bugs and issues, but of course they only cover Windows and other Microsoft products. There are many other known bugs and problems lists for or from other companies.

My experience with Microsoft knowledge base is that it almost always fails to have an answer, or it is to much work to wring a solution from it.

I am NOT suggesting a universal fault finder. Just a collection of found solutions.

wainuitech
14-06-2013, 08:57 AM
Start the site up then -- no ones stopping you, your idea, put it into action, post links to it so others know its available :)

Vince
14-06-2013, 09:02 AM
I don't poses the skills, ore the time to acquire them. That is why I am suggesting it here.
That is why I don't have a website of my own.

wainuitech
14-06-2013, 09:05 AM
Whats being proposed is not a bad idea, but it would take a LOT of time, someone would need the passion to do it correctly,

kahawai chaser
14-06-2013, 10:28 PM
One of my first niche sites was a directory of links to dozens of software reviews, PC blogs, freeware, solutions, etc. But too much time to keep updated, even with using rss feed/aggregators from Google Code. (https://code.google.com/) Then Google told me more or less to add my own content, or at least user generated content, otherwise the site was going to be deindexed - because I was using their adsense ads. So I abandoned the site. You cant have too many links offsite without generating your own semi unique content it seems, otherwise risked being warned or penalized. You also risk being tainted as a link content network or farm - even though useful links. Google deindexed such networks last year.

I agree with Google advanced operators, as mentioned by above members, being quick to find solutions - I have used most of them. Even undocumented ones, and lately some are doing google search results url parameter "splitting" for research. But you need to know core search terms and any qualifiers for your actual intentional query. However you risk - being booted out of Google search for a set time, if you do too many, or too fast using their advanced operators. Happened to me plenty of times.

But Google do allow to use their custom search API , and with Google Alerts you could (or someone), can create a customized search network with a website or forum. Yahoo also has a content API that can be used, though it's rate limiting. But you need coding skills. Also their are cloud, pdf, numerical, document, and category search engines, that can help, e.g. Deeper Web (http://deeperweb.com/), Soolve (http://www.soovle.com/), Yippy, Zanran, etc.

As myth mentioned their are solutions blogs, not just simple reviews, and tutorials, etc that litter the web (including some of mine). Microsoft's Mark Russinovich's blog (http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinovich/) is a prime example. Forums search engines can help, e.g. Board reader or tracker.

Tracer bots, scripts (xml), google scripts, can yield or basically scrape the web for targeted solutions. Virtual Private Library (http://www.virtualprivatelibrary.com/) have extracted tons of info and solutions - basically at the url level to collate info/solutions for certain topics. Zillman (http://zillman.info/)is a pioneer here.

Too much work as WT says, I been there a little. Good concept, but need adopt coding skills, aggregators, scripts, etc to create bascially a gatewory or directory resource. Then maintain, updates respond, and engage with visitors. Then you may need create other channels, e.g. social profiles, youtube, a blog, for further reach and visibility...

plod
14-06-2013, 10:57 PM
Start the site up then -- no ones stopping you, your idea, put it into action, post links to it so others know its available :)im sure there use to be a site like what Vince is talking about associated with presssf1 years ago. Just can't remember what it was called, it could have been pre xp days, but definitely before vista.

wainuitech
15-06-2013, 12:08 AM
That was before my time joining plod. Still nice to know though :)

Vince you want an example of what you would have to do, this is JUST microsoft related, but click on THIS LINK (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/categories/), select all forums -- then scroll through, select ANY subjects - then look at the sub categories ;)

Now consider this -- Who is going to take on such a job ??? No single person could - its simply to great.

As kahawai chaser points out the very well laid out reply -- theres a mine field of possible troubles.

Greg
15-06-2013, 02:15 AM
That was before my time joining plod. Still nice to know though :)

Vince you want an example of what you would have to do, this is JUST microsoft related, but click on THIS LINK (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/categories/), select all forums -- then scroll through, select ANY subjects - then look at the sub categories ;)

Now consider this -- Who is going to take on such a job ??? No single person could - its simply to great.

As kahawai chaser points out the very well laid out reply -- theres a mine field of possible troubles.

You're tired mate.

wainuitech
15-06-2013, 11:43 AM
You're tired mate. Eh??? you are you referring to ??

beetle
15-06-2013, 12:42 PM
double post...........

beetle
15-06-2013, 12:44 PM
PF1 had a FAQ page...( frequently asked questions ) that members wrote up instructions on how to fix or do something.... have no idea if it still exists or works not?

http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/faq.php?faq=faq_pressf1_root

it seems to not have heaps but some ... fixits ? is this the sort of thing you meant? as this FAQ seems to be quite out of date now...........

i thought i hit edit but seems i hit reply............. must be tireder than i thought.

Greg
15-06-2013, 11:35 PM
Eh??? you are you referring to ??Your fine self.