PDA

View Full Version : Spybot stop downloads

QW.
07-06-2013, 11:58 PM
On Thursday I installed Spybot2 to on my PC. Did a scan and no problems. Today I tried to download a file from website I visit daily and it was http 404 error. Check my settings in IE and everything was fine. I then decided to remove Spybot2. Once the program was removed I was able to download from the website.

Any ideas as to whats going on?

wainuitech
08-06-2013, 12:15 AM
Something on the site may have been added or changed and is triggering the inbuilt safe site ( dangerous content) in Spybot.

Whats the site ?

QW.
08-06-2013, 12:38 PM
Its a flightsim site called Avsim.com

wainuitech
08-06-2013, 12:45 PM
Maybe there was a problem with the install of Spybot, just went to the site and it loaded - rather slow but it did load OK. Do you have the free or the paid version of Spybot ?

QW.
08-06-2013, 12:54 PM
Free version. Think I have found the problem. Was using a Spybot proxy. Settings>Internet Protection>Untick Spybot proxy.

Is there another way to allow the site to download without having to disable to Spybot proxy?

wainuitech
08-06-2013, 06:14 PM
Awhhhh OK maybe Spybots own proxy setting/ detection rules could be flagging the site as a problem.

Just checked my settings and the proxy ( either of them) were not ticked. When you install SB 2 there are two options when installing, ( cant remember the exact wording) but one is like a standard install, auto updates, scans etc, where the second one is more manual control by the user.

If you installed by the Standard install, it "May" have automatically selected the proxy settings.

QW.
08-06-2013, 06:18 PM
I did the standard install. Would it matter if I left the Spybot proxy unticked?

wainuitech
08-06-2013, 06:44 PM
Mines unticked (I didn't use the standard install option) and SB still seems to stop some sites that may be suspect. Using the proxy would mean its being more selective with sites.

See if This Article (http://www.safer-networking.org/faq/why-are-some-of-my-favourite-internet-sites-blocked-2/) is of any use, you may be able to tell SB to ignore the site.