PDA

View Full Version : How do you remove items from the system tray?

Billy T
07-06-2013, 11:28 PM
Hi Team

I have a few items in the system tray that don't need to be there as I have screen icons that I prefer to use, and others should be accessible via Control Panel if needed.

I can't find any quick way to remove them, so I assume they are resident a few levels deeper than screen icons.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Speedy Gonzales
07-06-2013, 11:47 PM
Right mouse on it / unpin / delete? You mean the taskbar / quicklaunch bar?

wainuitech
08-06-2013, 12:17 AM
What OS, different versions of windows you do it differently

coldot
08-06-2013, 10:36 AM
Win 7 right click Start Sphere/Properties/TaskBar/Notification area
Win XP right click on taskbar/Properties/taskbar -Hide Inactive Icons>customize
But if you're still using Win 95/98/2000 you'll have to search ancient history for an answer!:horrified

blanco
08-06-2013, 12:55 PM
If you are on Win7 you should see in the tray a small arrow
pointing upwards. Click on the arrow, then click "customise" and choose
from the list those icons you wish to always appear in the tray.
There are 3 choices : Hide icons and notifications, Show icons and notifications
or Show notifications only. Hope this helps.

Billy T
11-06-2013, 10:37 AM
No, not the Task bar, I am referring to the System/NotificationTray at the bottom right of the screen. At present there are about six items that I don't need there (one of three printers, Teamviewer, Mouse & Keyboard, 'ADSL Cap' System Backup and Malwarebytes) so I have to expand it every time to get the ones that I do want to use.

The OS is XP Pro.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

pcuser42
11-06-2013, 10:39 AM
In Windows XP removing icons from the system tray depends on the program: the OS doesn't have any controls that let you banish icons manually.

Unfortunately you'll have to right-click each icon and find an option that lets you get rid of it.

If you are on Win7 you should see in the tray a small arrow
pointing upwards. Click on the arrow, then click "customise" and choose
from the list those icons you wish to always appear in the tray.
There are 3 choices : Hide icons and notifications, Show icons and notifications
or Show notifications only. Hope this helps.

In Windows 7 and 8 you can also simply drag the icons off the taskbar as well :)

Speedy Gonzales
11-06-2013, 10:49 AM
Or use ccleaner tick tray notification cache under cleaner / windows click on run cleaner, then open task manager, then end explorer.exe. Then select run task from task manager again and type in explorer.exe. This will remove the unwanted icons from the notification tray. Dont forget to untick the above option after. Actually I think this kills everything but the default icons. You'll have to run whatever program again so it appears there

Or the easiest way to do this, get this run it. It'll add itself to right mouse (http://www.thewindowsclub.com/right-click-restart-explorer-adds-restart-explorer-option-to-context-menu). It'll stay there until you run it again.

Altho I dont know if it works in XP.

Billy T
11-06-2013, 10:51 AM
The OS is XP Pro, and although 'right-click' does provide 'Properties', there is no option to edit or delete for most items.

I've just managed to remove one item (which will probably return anyway) so I think I may just have to live with it.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

wainuitech
11-06-2013, 12:41 PM
What Coldot is correct - if the options are not there then they may have been disabled.

Win XP right click on taskbar/Properties/taskbar Tab - customize - When you click on hide when inactive ( or what ever is showing) a arrow appears - From the drop down arrow beside each entry you can select its option

Billy T
11-06-2013, 04:23 PM
Well, with thanks to all, I have finally tamed the right bottom corner of my screen. I now see that although you cannot delete items (without removing the program itself), you can certainly hide them. That would have to be one of the more obscure 'features' in XP, and even halfway through the enlightened exercise I temporarily lost sight of where it was that I found the 'hide' option, hidden in the opposite corner of the screen!

I don't know what they were smoking when they 'designed' that feature, but it sure was counter-intuitive (to my warped mind at least). :D

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :thumbs:

Terry Porritt
11-06-2013, 04:58 PM
Don't forget some programs have the option to have or not have a system tray icon, sometimes in their options or settings, others give you options when installing.

dugimodo
11-06-2013, 05:12 PM
Also many programs that use that area arent particularly needed to be running all the time and can be removed from the startup folder to prevent them starting with windows.

Create a "startup old" folder and move anything you think you dont need to it then after a couple weeks delete any you havent found the need to move back there.

PeterE
12-06-2013, 12:38 PM
In XP click Start>Run type in 'msconfig' then select 'Start Up' and untick what you don't need.

OK.

Billy T
12-06-2013, 11:49 PM
In XP click Start>Run type in 'msconfig' then select 'Start Up' and untick what you don't need. OK.

Thanks Peter, but I use msconfig already and I don't have any programs running that I don't want. That was not the problem.

The issue was simply that I didn't want duplicate icons displayed in the System Tray for any programs, running or not, as they were already present in the Quick Launch area, and that aim has now been achieved. Thanks for the input, regardless.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)