PDA

View Full Version : Splicing .avi files

The_guru
07-06-2013, 04:20 PM
I have been given a movie in .avi format, in two <700Mb sections. I used VLC to splice the sections together, the resulting file is 98Gb in size. The original files were readable on a Panasonic LED TV, from an external 2Tb drive, and on my computer; the output file is still readable on my computer, but not on the TV (format not recognized). I have adequate space on the external drive, but I want to burn the output file to DVD, so how do I splice the source files to a more compact form, without losing video or audio quality?

Speedy Gonzales
07-06-2013, 04:36 PM
Something is wrong if its 98 GB And obviously thats not going to fit on a DVD. I would use something else to edit it with, if this is what you did with VLC

Try the 1st download (http://www.freemake.com/offline/offline_all/), it should load the file then you can edit the original files you've got. Then you can convert it / or burn it. Make sure you do a custom install, otherwise it installs crap

The_guru
08-06-2013, 09:42 AM
Thanks for the info, I will try that. As a correction to my previous, it was not VLC that I used, but possibly VirtualDub. I used VLC to strip the audio from YouTube downloads.