PDA

View Full Version : I dont need a home phone anymore

bruciebear
07-06-2013, 10:38 AM
I live in Te Atatu and have a package with Telecom Home and Internet. Personally I like Telecom the speed is good and never have issues. I run a wireless router for 2 Laptops and a Smartphone. I dont play games only some downloads and You Tube etc.
The question is I dont really need a home phone anymore so to save money, what should I do? I only need Broadband. Although I would rerally like to keep my xtra email address but I guess we could tell everyone we have a new email address? Friends have swapped to Vodafone and others and have nothing but issues swapping.
Any ideas of a good solution without issues and a fair but reliable service? Cheers.

autechre
07-06-2013, 11:10 AM
Since you don't need a phone, naked DSL is what you want.

You're out of luck with Telecom it seems:
http://help.telecom.co.nz/app/answers/detail/a_id/1582/~/what-is-naked-dsl%3F

If you do want to swap, Snap (http://www.snap.net.nz/) have some pretty good deals.

paulw
07-06-2013, 11:30 AM
Actually I suspect it's going to be harder to get naked ADSL as most ISPs demand that you buy their fone service these days to get any sort of broadband. This is why I left Orcon after 13 years. 30Gig was not enough but to get any more I had to take their fone service as well. I already had a Telecom landline so switch to them..

Nomad
07-06-2013, 11:34 AM
If you compare the difference between Telecom's BB pack and Telecom's prices and take off their landline cost of $45 (?) there is not much difference for other company who offer naked DSL. By not having the phone line you are not going to get back the $45, maybe $20 if that?

From memory $70 or $75 is about the going rate without a proper landline. They might give you a normal landline # which you can do VOIP calls the router is plugged to the phone lines in the house (or just to one telephone) so it works like usual or they might not even give you that and you need to set up your own no. from a VOIP company like 2talk which every call you make will consume data.

dugimodo
07-06-2013, 11:49 AM
Thing is there's still a line charge with naked DSL which the ISP pays to Telecom so the total price tends to be < $20 cheaper as Nomad said. In fact when I looked around compared to the 150Gb phone and BB package I'm on I couldn't find anything that made it seem worthwhile to switch at all. What I personally want to see is an integrated home broadband and smartphone package with no landline and 1 bill - would be perfect for me. I have a landline just because It's part of the package, no actual need for it.

Chilling_Silence
07-06-2013, 05:37 PM
If you're in Te Atatu, there's a good chance you can get Naked VDSL2!!

8ftmetalhaed
09-06-2013, 02:21 AM
yeah, though in te atatu south do alot of ringing around first. When I first moved here, I was forced onto orcon's wholesale network as the unbundled area stopped at the street above mine. I was told initially by multiple people that yup, i could get naked. NOPE.

I got it a while later though. I also don't suggest orcon.