PDA

View Full Version : The end of PC World?

Oxie
07-06-2013, 10:21 AM
It will be a sad day for technological publishing if they do decide to scrap PC World (as hinted in the Business section of today's Herald. I for one look forward to receiving my monthly copy of PC World. If Fairfax decide to scrap it, will this mean that this wonderful forum will also bite the dust?

Oxie (Lyn)

Trev
07-06-2013, 10:27 AM
Read this thread. http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?133288-The-PressF1-forums-are-saved!
:)

Speedy Gonzales
07-06-2013, 10:28 AM
This may answer your question (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?133288-The-PressF1-forums-are-saved!)

There is another forum users made up just in case (http://pcforums.co.nz/viewforum.php?f=3). Looks like both will still be going

Oxie
07-06-2013, 10:42 AM
Thanks Trev and Speedy. Fingers crossed then that this forum will stay open for a long time to come.

Oxie

robo
07-06-2013, 12:52 PM
I spotted the news story on it with interest, having been a contributor to PCW for quite some years, and a moderator on this forum for a while. Things have certainly moved on. Part of me is surprised that Fairfax aren't trying to sell the pubs, but maybe they have and failed. It is a very different world from even five years ago. I just watched an awesome documentary on bulletin boards called BBS, and it was an excellent example of how fast things can change.
I would be pleasantly surprised if pressF1 endured beyond the life of PCWorld.

plod
07-06-2013, 12:55 PM
I spotted the news story on it with interest, having been a contributor to PCW for quite some years, and a moderator on this forum for a while. Things have certainly moved on. Part of me is surprised that Fairfax aren't trying to sell the pubs, but maybe they have and failed. It is a very different world from even five years ago. I just watched an awesome documentary on bulletin boards called BBS, and it was an excellent example of how fast things can change.
I would be pleasantly surprised if pressF1 endured beyond the life of PCWorld.are you a mod

robo
07-06-2013, 01:09 PM
are you a mod
I was a mod, no longer, Chilling and a few others may remember me. It was about 10 years ago that I "retired".

CYaBro
07-06-2013, 01:25 PM
I was a mod, no longer, Chilling and a few others may remember me. It was about 10 years ago that I "retired".

I remember you. :D

Terry Porritt
07-06-2013, 01:57 PM
How can anyone forget Robo ? Also "the other one" Robo's namesake is still around :)

robo
07-06-2013, 02:42 PM
Terry! I remember you, and I think I remember CYaBro as well.
There is another robo? imposter!

Terry Porritt
07-06-2013, 04:34 PM
There is another robo? imposter!

I just checked the members list, he has the name 'theother1' to avoid confusion, but he hasn't posted since November 2012.

Greg
07-06-2013, 05:33 PM
Yeah Robo, us old timers remember you fondly. Good old Bruce has been posting a bit lately too.

Chilling_Silence
07-06-2013, 05:34 PM
Yes I remember you, though I must say you never did look like your Avatar ;)

Mike
07-06-2013, 05:40 PM
I was a mod, no longer, Chilling and a few others may remember me. It was about 10 years ago that I "retired".wow robo long time no see :)

Mike.

Jen
07-06-2013, 05:42 PM
Hiya Robo - haven't seen you around for a while - good to see you back. :)

robo
07-06-2013, 07:18 PM
Oh, I've been lurking a bit. Have posted a few things now and again since I woke up my account. And yes, same avatar that was given me by someone who's handle I forget. Just trawled through an old file and names like godfather, Susan B, tweak'e, PoWa, agent are floating around. As are many others. That list is nearly ten years old......

beetle
07-06-2013, 07:56 PM
Hi robo welcome back............ nice to see you again........... :)

gary67
07-06-2013, 09:37 PM
Godfather is no longer of this earth

SusanB
07-06-2013, 10:23 PM
And yes, same avatar that was given me by someone who's handle I forget.

That was me. Hi Robo, long time no see. :)

robo
08-06-2013, 11:05 AM
SusanB! I thought maybe it was you. And Beetle too! Been posting a fair bit, Beetle, compared to SusanB.
Sad to hear about godfather. I guess it ten years it has to happen to some people.

Oxie
08-06-2013, 11:18 AM
I am so sorry to hear about Godfather. I used to relish his technological wisdom and he helped me a lot all those years ago. It is nice to see some old names (SusanB, Mike, Terry, beetle and the list goes on). Good to know you are all still lurking.

Oxie

JJJJJ
08-06-2013, 11:23 AM
SusanB! I thought maybe it was you. And Beetle too! Been posting a fair bit, Beetle, compared to SusanB.
Sad to hear about godfather. I guess it ten years it has to happen to some people.

Often wondered what happened to you.

Mike
08-06-2013, 11:45 AM
maybe this thread should be renamed the class of 2000-ish reunion? :)

Mike.

Mike
08-06-2013, 11:47 AM
Have you still got the Millennium Falcon Robo? (I think that was you?)

Mike.

robo
08-06-2013, 12:25 PM
Have you still got the Millennium Falcon Robo? (I think that was you?)

Yep, that was me, there are a couple of Millennium Falcons out there, but mine has passed away. The I sold the car to the kids for a paltry sum, and the car was stolen last year and later recovered but written off. I still have the number plates. One day I will get another Falcon to put them on, but the cost of gas makes large cars less attractive.

It is funny how the news of PCW closing the doors has brought out a few people from the woodwork. I have spoken of the news with a couple of old friends. Although few of us still read it, it does seem odd that it won't still be around. Funny how things change. I just found something I wrote back about 2002 where I didn't think wifi would take off....unbelievable. I have four wifi access points in my house and about ten wireless devices that use it. Shows what I knew.