PDA

View Full Version : ICQ: keep contact list after format??????

02-12-2001, 06:24 PM
Hi.
Im formatting my computer but from past experience ICQ's contact list dosnt stay.

How can I keep my ICQ contact list for after the format?

Thanks for you help

02-12-2001, 07:16 PM
What ICQ version are you using? If you browse through the ICQ folder under Program Files, look for a folder called something like 99db, 2000b, 2001b or similar, and copy that whole folder onto a disk that's not being formatted (this is your contact list etc.)

the before reinstalling ICQ after your format, create a new folder under Program Files called ICQ, and copy that contact list folder back into ICQ (in the folder it originally came from) and then install ICQ back over the top. When you run ICQ it should read this contact list again.

Hope this helps.
Mike

PS in the new ICQ 2001b, it can save your contact list online so that you don't need to save your contact list folder, but i found this weekend that it doesn't work that well (I had to get reauthorised by about 5 different people).

02-12-2001, 07:33 PM
There is also a small utility called ICQ Rescue that will do the job. The last version was for ICQ 2000b, but it also backs up the contact list and all details for 2001b, apparently without problem. The back up can be to a floppy.
Obtainable FREE from:
http://home1.inet.tele.dk/boyesen/english/#icqresc