PDA

View Full Version : Internet Contn Displays but doesn't work

02-12-2001, 05:53 PM
Have an AMD Athlon thunderbird 1 Ghtz pc. Am able to make a connection to the internet and this displays in system tray but no matter what browser I use (opera, IE 6, Netscape)am unable to display/receive web pages. Also unable to connect to email. Would appreciate any help with this. Modem status does not blink like it is receiving anything. Nothing seems to be comming through at all. Don't really want to reinstall Win 98SE as everything else is okay including local network. Modem is fine as I can send faxes and receive them.

02-12-2001, 06:13 PM
First thing to do is track down the fault. Has this just happened recently, i.e. after you installed a program?

To check if your connection is working, try pinging a web site. Open a dos prompt window and type ping www.pcworld.co.nz. If your connection is working you should get a reply.

Check if TCP/IP has been correctly installed (network setting in the control panel). Although this is unlikely to be the problem, since I think you would be unable to connect to your ISP at all if it had not been installed.