PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Wireless Router

tkp
07-06-2013, 03:13 AM
Hello all,

My ISP recently shifted from modem connection to a hard wire broadband connection. My wireless router used to work earlier with modem connection. IT does not work now with the broadband connection. I have accessed my router and saved the ISP provided username and password. on router's GUI, the connection shows to be established but the internet still does not work (unable to load any site).

on contacting my ISP, they said that the mac address is not blocked by them so any device can access the connection (what i thought could be the problem). now i do not know how to solve this problem.

any help would be highly appreciated.

thank you,
Tarun

Speedy Gonzales
07-06-2013, 09:21 AM
Are you using a proxy or a firewall?? It maybe blocking something. What version of windows is installed? So, you're using a separate modem and router? Or modem/router in one ?

tkp
07-06-2013, 02:21 PM
i have an antivirus installed on my computer as a regular software. windows firewall is active as before. i work on Win 7 version. My ISP has removed the modem and instead given a broadband line to me which i can connect directly to my computer for internet access. The problem is that internet does not work when i connect the wireless router.

i dont know what is causing the problem in the internet connection through the wireless router.

Alex B
07-06-2013, 02:26 PM
Press the Windows Flag Key (between alt+ctrl) and R togeather, in the box type in cmd and press enter, in the black window that pops up type in ipconfig, what does it say next to ipv4 address?

Other thing if you have just come from dial up, go into control panel>internet options>connections and make sure never dial a connection is ticked. Your ISP should be able to talk you through these things anyway, they are basic fault finding steps.

Chilling_Silence
07-06-2013, 05:36 PM
My money says it's one of the free Thomson / Technicolor routers that your ISP has given you for free? They have issues with DHCP some times... What is the make and model of your router?
Try power cycling the router, and leaving all other devices off / disconnected and THEN see if your PC can get connected.

decibel
07-06-2013, 08:41 PM
...My ISP recently shifted from modem connection to a hard wire broadband connection. ...
This is confusing - do you mean that you were using a DSL modem and now have a cable connection such as Telstra's cable modem?

tkp
08-06-2013, 02:10 AM
there is an ip address displayed in next to ipv4 address: 10.30.1.10

i bought the wireless router (Netgear JNR 1010) to convert my wired connection into a wireless one for convenience. My ISP will charge for setting the wireless router with for internet, so i am trying to figure out the problem. Earlier my ISP had provided the connection through a DSL modem. Now he has run the fibre optic cable for the broadband line.

are there any other settings which i should check?

Speedy Gonzales
08-06-2013, 09:18 AM
Put the ipv4 ip on auto. I dont think the ipv4 ip starts with 10, it may start with 192.168.1.x. The ip thats there is probably invalid. Which is why you cant get online. And having a separate modem / router can sometimes make it harder for devices to connect to it

jinja_thom
08-06-2013, 11:52 AM
Where are you located geographically and what is the name of your ISP?
This information will help to identify the type of internet connection you are using.

stormdragon
08-06-2013, 02:01 PM
Put the ipv4 ip on auto. I dont think the ipv4 ip starts with 10, it may start with 192.168.1.x. The ip thats there is probably invalid. Which is why you cant get online. And having a separate modem / router can sometimes make it harder for devices to connect to it

Private IP addresses starting with 10 are perfectly acceptable and are simply known as a Class A address compared to 192 which is a Class C address.

decibel
08-06-2013, 04:32 PM
The 10.x.x.x address is the normal private IP address as Stormdragon says.
What you need is the public IP address that you have been allocated by your ISP and this needs to be configured in your router as the WAN address.