PDA

View Full Version : Things can't get much worse: Part III

02-12-2001, 05:20 PM
I think I am going to have to give up on this one! Nothing I try will allow DMA to be enabled for the Seagate UDMA/100 20GB drive. (ST320011A) on A-Trend ATC-5030 motherboard/Win98 original.

I can't even set the drive parameters manually in CMOS because although in USER I can set Cylinders/heads/sectors, it auto-sets size as 528MB!

I have concluded that the drive is not backwards compatible with UDMA/33 so unless there is a driver patch or similar software remedy available it'll have to stay slow. Shame really.

Billy 8-{)

02-12-2001, 07:11 PM
Have you been to seagate's site and downloaded 'UATA100.exe version 3.03'?? It may be able to help.

02-12-2001, 08:38 PM
Billy, I would have thought all of the hardrives would be backward compatible.

Have you got the latest bios?

Perhaps there is a driver you need to download, for your chipset.

That's a pretty old board you are using. Maybe it's time to move forward, a new one with ata100 would give you a buzz!

02-12-2001, 10:29 PM
Tom

That looks like the answer! How the heck do you find these things? I searched the Seagate site for ages but couldn't find anything to help. The pages relating to the drive itself were extremely unhelpful as the installation instructions didn't mention anything about ATA/33.

Reading the associated text file seems to suggest that ATA/66 is the default which may be why it won't work on my slow MB. I have downloaded the utility and will run it sometime in the next couple of days. Got to get some work done first!

You are right KO, I ought to update but this is just one of four computers here and I'm kinda attached to it. It doesn't have to do anything demanding and is usually quite fast enough and well behaved. The others are up to date & run Win2K. Next year I'll put this one into semi-retirement but the recent spate of failures prompted repair & restoration activities!

Thanks to the Press F1 team and PCW it will last a little while yet.

Billy 8-{)

03-12-2001, 06:45 PM
Hi there

Have you investigated the use of a ATA/100 expansion card from Promise Technology? Something like the Ultra100 TX2 adapter card. As mentioned on page 86 of the October issue of NZ PC World.

Good luck. Peter.