PDA

View Full Version : ...into 1 spot...

02-12-2001, 12:52 PM
Hi, following my recent posting which reads:

Hi, I've got a computer with p100 with 32 mb ram and 850 mb hard drive. Since this drive was the one used to replace the old drive, because it had too much bad sectors. So now i'm wondering if there is a way that when I install the drive again (to make it slave) that it will only display and USE the good bits, approx. 650mb. I really want to see if it is possible, so could somebody help, even though if you think differently to me, because i won't to try it out, and if i don't feel it's going the way its meant to be then i'll take it out. So, if you don't understand me still, i want to put a 800mb hard drive (with bad sectrs)as slave on top of a 850mb drive then do something, even if it means doing it in windows or bios or whatever, to make the bad sectors all disappear so that when i run scandisk on it, it'll show only the good bits and not the bad sectors (that is: show 650mb ( i guess) with 650 all good) is there any way to doing this, even with nortons system doctor or something, anything!
Thanks

Somebody suggested that if the bad sectors were all together in one spot i could determine where they are and then make a partition in that region, then hide the partition. But my problem now is that it's spreaded around the whole drive, so i'm wondering if anyone knows how to, or a unility, that will allow me to pull the bad sectors together. I have windows 95b by the way

Thanks

02-12-2001, 01:50 PM
You can't move the bad sectors.

Run a through scandisk (more than once) to get them all marked, and use whats left.

02-12-2001, 02:39 PM
You are trying to use, with today's hardware, yesterday's methods.

Because it is difficult to produce perfect disks, yields would be low and HDs would still cost $4000 for 5MB, if they had to be perfect.

IDE drives undergo a severe test in the factory, bad sectors are mapped into spares in the same track, or bad tracks are mapped onto spare tracks. The mapping is stored in the drive electronics, so a new disk appears 'perfect'. The software to do that is in the factory.

I suspect that the best ones are sold as AV quality at a higher price, because when you reach a remapped track, the heads might cross half thre disk to the spare, then back again, causing delays.

MFM drives came with a (sometimes very long) list of bad sectors, and when you formatted you manually tyope in the numbers, or if lucky, you could let the format programme find them, and then add any it missed.

You can '(MS) format' your IDE disk, and it will mark the bad sectors in the FAT tables, so they won't be used. The 'low-level' format programmes for IDE drives just rewrite the sector headers of the remapped sectors. 'Format' will find some of them bad. Scandisk will find the bad ones again, and others as the flakes of oxide appear elswhere. Everytime you run scandisk.

If your drive is 25% bad, you might as well use it as a paperweight. Take the cover of the disk enclosure -- they are rather attractive objects.

You should get a secondhand 'good' one quite cheaply.

03-12-2001, 03:00 PM
I turned a 500Mb SCSI Fujitsu into a really good turntable for spray painting undercoat on my son's warhammer figures.

Just reduce rpm to below 100 or they fly off real quick, even with Blu-Tak holding them on.

Robo.

PS By the way, SY, I know you aren't old. I am assuming you can disassemble a PC and reassemble it? Saw a 12yo on cover of local newspaper that amazed his parents by doing that. Duh! I would amaze my parents now because they couldn't tell the power switch from the ethernet port. Ridiculous thing to say.