PDA

View Full Version : Windows xp refuses to load...

02-12-2001, 12:36 PM
Hey there, I need some advice from anybody who can help me..

Windows XP refuses to load, and looking at the partitions, I am told that the windows XP partition has a 'OS/2 boot manager' in it's one line of info.

I am unsure of how to remove this OS/2 Boot manager - I've used the fdisk /mbr option, as well as fixboot and fixmbr (included with the recovery console - the password was strangely nothing).

Please can someone help, as I am unable to format at this time,
thanks in advance,
jonathan giles

02-12-2001, 03:10 PM
The OS/2 boot manager (from memory -- a few years since I had Warp 3 running) used a partition of its own (only about 1MB). But why the W-XP partition should be set to that type is a good question. It should be NTFS or something like that, shouldn't it?

Partition Magic did this did it? Why can't it fix it?

If not, I suggest that you use a linux recovery disk, and use (LINUX) fdisk from that to correct the partition type.

03-12-2001, 09:53 AM
I'm assuming it was Powerquest bootmagic which caused this - upon installing I received many errors. Now, I receive the following message:

autochk program not found - skipping AUTOCHECK

STOP: c0000021a {Fatal system Error}
The session Manager Initilization system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000034 (0x00000000 0x00000000).
The system has been shut down.

And looking at my partitions, I am shown that my third partition (The XP one) has this describing it:
'Invalid(OS/2 Boot Manager)'

Using Partition Magic doesn't show any OS/2 boot partition, and basically, I think i have two options:

1) Find out how to reinstate either the original NTFS file system, or else the FAT32 file system. I tried doing this using Partition Magic 7, but spouts errors at me regarding the partition having compression or something. I would prefer this option...

2) Format the partition and reinstall Windows XP. Probably the easier option, but i'm sure we shouldn't have to come to this.

As for the Linux fdisk option, I'm intriuged - I think I just formatted over my Linux boot disk, as I have just removed Linux to make way for another partition - could you zip up a copy of a linux boot disk and email, or alternatively, tell me which files I need to copy off of my Redhat Linux 7.2 CD? Would correcting the partition type result in formatting the drive?

If you, or anyone else wishes, my contact email is spikey@xtra.co.nz

Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance,
Jonathan Giles