PDA

View Full Version : cdrw ATAPI incompatible message

02-12-2001, 12:30 PM
I recently bought my 1st PC & tried to burn a full disc backup to cdrw using nero. The system locked up and upon reset I got 'Sec master drive ATAPI incompatible-press F1'
Proceeded but cdrw would not work & was missing from My Computer. Since then the system starts OK & the drive has reappeared, but crashes regularly -usually when using the cdrw. I always get the same 'ATAPI' message upon reset. Any help for a PC novice would be appreciated.

02-12-2001, 03:28 PM
Did you install the CDRW yourself, or did it come as part of the 'recently' bought computer. If it is under guarantee, talk to the shop about this. It's up to them to make it work.

If you installed the drive yourself, check that you have the MA/SL/CS jumper on the correct pins.

02-12-2001, 05:13 PM
Well the first thing & easiest is to check for critical updates from microsoft, its free and will fix many problems with your windows operating system. In internet Explorer Click on Tools/windows update
or
www.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
You should do this fairly regularly as new fixes come up or you can download the auto update notification > which I won't!.