PDA

View Full Version : HDD silencing

linw
05-06-2013, 04:26 PM
This is one of those "don't know why I didn't do it earlier" stories. My tower PC sits on my desk and it has buzzed/hummed for ages. The HDD vibration resonates with my case which in turn resonates with my desk!

My HDD has plastic slides on each edge and it slides into a 3 bay cage. Pulling the HDD out stopped the noise in its tracks. I read about elastic disk suspensions etc, and these would work very well, but all I did was undo the four screws holding the HDD cage to the case and slid it out of the clips locking it to the 5.25" cage above it. Then I made sure that each side of the HDD cage was isolated from the case with thin sheets of softish foam plastic.

This mod exceeded my expectations and it even reduces the head chatter markedly. This latter was a bonus I wasn't really expecting but it makes sense, stopping to think about it.

So, if you have a similar problem, get to it, it is well worth it!

Trev
05-06-2013, 04:36 PM
The last 2 computers I have had the HD led on the case didn't work even after playing around with the cable in case I had it the wrong way round or in the wrong socket. I was lucky with my last computer in that I could hear the HD working but in this one I cannot which took a bit of getting use too.
:)

Myth
06-06-2013, 08:30 AM
One computer I have did not have enough drive bays. So all I did was this:
made 2 brackets for the HDD out of aluminium angle. Using ADOS contact glue, I then glued Velcro dots to the base of the bracket and the inside base of the computer case.Make sure there is no dust on the case first though.

Nicely ventilated, and no noise.. Still works 3 years later (even with a few HDD changeouts). That case is used for my HTPC.

dugimodo
06-06-2013, 02:15 PM
I have a coolermaster 4 hdd adapter with a 12CM fan that fits into 3 5.25" bays. It has rubber sockets on the side that 4 pins push into which seems to work well in isolating hdd noise.

Something I discovered on the topic that may be of interest, you shouldn't mix different RPM drives in the same cage without some kind of isolation to prevent vibrations from each effecting the other. Apparently the different frequency of vibration can play havoc with the performance of some drives.

linw
06-06-2013, 02:44 PM
@Trev. Bit weird you had two machines with dodgy HDD LEDs. Only probs I have had with these is getting the wires crossed. Nice thing about LEDs, though, is that it can't damage them.

@Myth and dugi. More ways! Most work fine. I'm not fanatical about silencing but the drumming was getting me annoyed! Interesting comment re different speed drives together. Nice having big drives aval as I only have one!

SolMiester
06-06-2013, 04:42 PM
My latest drive purchase is actually quite quiet considering.....

linw
07-06-2013, 04:37 PM
Wow, that is impressive!!! Apart from an array of drives, what is it?

Greg
07-06-2013, 05:29 PM
what is it?A photo?

linw
07-06-2013, 06:29 PM
Maybe!!

Agent_24
08-06-2013, 12:37 AM
HDD silencing: use a sledgehammer, or thermite.

dugimodo
08-06-2013, 10:22 AM
or turn off the power, little less extreme.

linw
08-06-2013, 12:57 PM
Does that make you deaf so you can't hear the disk anymore?