PDA

View Full Version : Hard drive salvage

01-12-2001, 11:23 PM
I have had a friend who recently bought me her PC with HDD's that have ceased to function. She thinks in hindsight they have been trashed by the W32.Magistr.24876@mm virus. When connected to one of my workstations as slaves they return the message 'no recognisable file system...'
She really needs some info on one of the discs. Anyone got a solution, or otherwise recommend a company who can salvage this info for her. We live near Wellington.
regards
Don McAlpine

02-12-2001, 07:57 AM
Don

One of the people on here just recently tried Computer Forensics to get at a very sad hard drive.

It was Billy T, I think, scan for his posting.

However, I don't know that your case is that bad yet.

What OS are you running, and is it the same or newer than your friend's? If I put a fat32 drive in a win95 machine, it probably wouldn't recognise it. Same goes for an NTFS partition. Check that before you get carried away.

Robo.

02-12-2001, 10:01 AM
Don

Computer Forensics are probably the best bet if the data is critical (0800 LOST FILES) or www.computer-forensics.co.nz.

They say not to allow any attempts to recover data using Nortons or other proprietary recovery software (but so would I in their shoes). However, unless you know exactly what is wrong with the disk it is not worth the risk. Charges are $90 to examine and report plus data recovery at whatever it costs. It is not cheap but if it turns out that the disk itself can be made to function properly then the cost could be quite modest.

In the end, it all depends on what value is placed on the lost data. At least phone them before you make a decision. They are very helpful on the phone and give a good explanation of what they can do.

By Tuesday i should now the utcome from my disk and I'll post the results (and cost) if you can wait that long.

Billy 8-{)