PDA

View Full Version : Things can't get much worse: Part II

01-12-2001, 11:00 PM
Well folks, I'm making progress slowly. Replaced PSU & installed new Seagate 20GB drive (ST320011A). Transferred operating system from old 4.3GB Seagate C drive via Drive Wizard & installed that as a replacement for the dead D: drive. Loaded my data from Ghost image backup and all looked sweet. But!!

The new drive was disappointingly slow so I thought I'd check DMA status.

(Defragging the transferred data took an age and when I downloaded & installed Power Defrag I got a 'registration error' on Regsvr32.exe C:\windows\system\asycfilt.dll
but no instruction as to what to do about it. Running the exe left me no wiser. That's an incidental issue that I'd like advice on if anybody else has struck it.)

Back to the main problem, UDMA is enabled in Bios but DMA wasn't checked in Device Manager, however when I try to check it I get an 'Unsupported Hardware Alert' which cancels out the setting. The old C: ran DMA ok so I'm a bit baffled.

The only difference is that the old drives were set up in CMOS as 'User' with the necessary parameters entered and the new setup has them on auto which shows the new drive as 'Generic type 47' and I think the other two are Generic Type 80. They still have DMA enabled.

Where do I go from here? The only real change is to a much newer HD and I've run out of ideas as to why it won't accept DMA. Motherboard is an A-Trend 5030 which only does UDMA/33 but I can't even get that.

I've searched the Press F1 archive but couldn't find this particular problem (ain't it always the way?)

Any ideas?

Billy 8-{(

01-12-2001, 11:06 PM
Ignore the alert, it says it regardless.

If it wasn't supported you wouldn't know until after the reboot.

01-12-2001, 11:32 PM
Thanks BM, but I already tried ignoring it and both the OK and Cancel options do the same thing, they remove the tick.

I checked both ways, i.e. by rebooting and also by being sneaky and cancelling the re-boot & checking the tick-box status. Either way, the box stays resolutely empty. The alert wording rather indicates that it will not proceed too. As I read it, clicking OK accepts the warning and cancels the operation, while cancel just backs you out anyway.

Any more ideas out there?

Billy 8-{(

02-12-2001, 11:28 PM
Hi Billy
Sounds like your having fun.
Just a couple of things you might want to try,firstly you might need to update the bios so that the m/b will recognize the new drive properly,second Seagate hdd,s
can have there udma mode set to 33,66 or 100 with a utility
you can download from there website,make sure yours is set to 33 as that is all the m/b supports,it maybe set on
66 or 100,default is usually 33,other than that make sure udma is enabled in the bios and that it is actually being enabled in windows with that reg fix in a previous post.

good luck

03-12-2001, 09:53 AM
Hi tech_ mister

Thanks for the advice.

UDMA is enabled in BIOS but it is not being enabled in windows. The reg fix doesn't apply to my problem as the Box isn't greyed out, it just won't hold the tick.

I have the Seagate utility now and will try it in a few days when I catch up on my backlog of work.

Watch out for Part IV

Billy 8-{)