PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Provider ????

AppleFan
01-06-2013, 05:43 PM
Hey i used to be on vodafone but then switched to 2 degrees , due to to me there texts are cheap and calls but after i switched i begin to have problems , like calls and text not incoming or slow network process and find it a bit hard to use , when i think back vodafone is simple and help and support i know are good in my opinion .Why i did switch is because one of my family members told me , its cheaper than vodafone but i still love vodafone . Here is what 2 degrees is still good at - good value packs , plans are good too , what they are not good at is customers service , i used this a few times poor i should say than any other nz mobile network. So i would love to know which you prefer is a good nz mobile network , i have created a poll too , so tick which one you like and comment on what you think of 2 degress network , do you like it , or dislike it , whats good about your own mobile provider and bad .

Thanks

Nomad
01-06-2013, 07:58 PM
I haven't checked lately but I think 2D have the value packs if you are in their regions, when you are not roaming via Vodafone, their postpaid packs might be good value too but their data speed is not that fast. I don't use value packs b/c it cost a decent penny at the end of the day regardless of which telco so I just use mainly WiFi I do use 3G data when I need GPS on the odd occasion thou.

2D came out with good prices right but if you are a light user their rates isn't that much cheaper now, the others have responded from 79c to now 49c calling, 44c per min and 9c per text. Vodafone is 49c and 12c. Vodafone's data is cheaper, 2D is like 50c per MB - in NZ, also when roaming overseas on the odd occasion 2D is the most expensive at $30/MB. Thou 2D do have half price for the first 30 days when you do a min $30 top up but if you are doing that you should be on postpaid anyway :D Sooo not that relevant to many prepaid customers.

If you are a post paid customer XT have all you can use capped prices for a selected few countries and Vodafone have data angel that gives you like 200-300MB for like twenty bucks, which is quite good versus the std roaming rates.

gary67
01-06-2013, 08:31 PM
After leaving vodafone for 2D I wouldn't move back, I avoid telescum at all costs. Since 2D have now introduced carryover minutes on prepay they offer so much more value for money than the so called competition. Sure their coverage is not quite as good but at least they are not ripping us off like the big two, and their customer service what I have used of it is good

plod
01-06-2013, 09:22 PM
After leaving vodafone for 2D I wouldn't move back, I avoid telescum at all costs. Since 2D have now introduced carryover minutes on prepay they offer so much more value for money than the so called competition. Sure their coverage is not quite as good but at least they are not ripping us off like the big two, and their customer service what I have used of it is good+1

Greg
01-06-2013, 09:26 PM
After leaving vodafone for 2D I wouldn't move back, I avoid telescum at all costs. Since 2D have now introduced carryover minutes on prepay they offer so much more value for money than the so called competition. Sure their coverage is not quite as good but at least they are not ripping us off like the big two, and their customer service what I have used of it is goodAlmost certain that 2DG use Vodafone's transmitter towers. I know Skinny uses Telecom's.

plod
01-06-2013, 09:46 PM
Almost certain that 2DG use Vodafone's transmitter towers. I know Skinny uses Telecom's.i believe 2degree have their own in the main centres, piggyback off Vodafone else where

pcuser42
01-06-2013, 10:32 PM
I moved to 2degrees after buying a phone that didn't support Telecom's network, now I'm glad I moved :)

I've found 2degrees customer service to be excellent via Twitter at least.

i believe 2degree have their own in the main centres, piggyback off Vodafone else where

Yep :)

Blue Druid
01-06-2013, 11:11 PM
To buck the trend, I have been with Telecom with a couple of short-lived excursions to the other two, since the very first cellphones. I stay with them because they are the only carrier that provides coverage where I live but have to admit there are other locations I visit where Vodafone provide superior coverage (proximity of towers.) Telecom's phone help is admittedly as bad as ever but I have always found their in-store staff more than helpful and prepared to go the extra mile to assist. I have a post-paid plan that admittedly is more expensive per minute calling but unless I make calls (which I do very rarely) I pay nothing — no monthly charge (pay only for calls or texts made) so for me it is the cheapest of all possible options. However, I don't use data and rarely send texts so my experience may well not represent typical usage.

Chilling_Silence
02-06-2013, 01:51 AM
Yeah definitely XT.

Around Auckland, at least everywhere west, north and south, coverage is *ass*... So many total dead spots. They have worse coverage than Vodafone around main centers but only fall back to Vodafone on certain places. Their 3G speeds are absolutely abysmal, although oddly enough their latency is better than the other two.

XT on the other hand, in my experience travelling around a lot with mates playing Ingress, consistently around Auckland provides better coverage and speeds. They may not have the cheapest deals but you most definitely get what you pay for. I'd switch back to XT in a heartbeat if I hadn't transferred my number to work with 2 Degrees, so for the time being I'm stuck on their crappy ass network. I absolutely hate it to the point where I'm debating getting a Nexus 7 with 3G just so I have some semi-decent coverage.

plod
02-06-2013, 09:40 AM
XT on the other hand, in my experience travelling around a lot with mates playing Ingress, consistently around Auckland provides better coverage and speeds. They may not have the cheapest deals but you most definitely get what you pay for. I'd switch back to XT in a heartbeat if I hadn't transferred my number to work with 2 Degrees, so for the time being I'm stuck on their crappy ass network. I absolutely hate it to the point where I'm debating getting a Nexus 7 with 3G just so I have some semi-decent coverage.bad mistake, never let your personal number become a work number. Was offered that, turned down.

paulw
02-06-2013, 09:53 AM
My work fone is on Telecom. I have SIMs also on 2D and Skinny. Best value for buck on prepay is currently Skinny..

Chilling_Silence
02-06-2013, 10:33 AM
bad mistake, never let your personal number become a work number. Was offered that, turned down.

Indeed, a hard lesson learned.

The Error Guy
02-06-2013, 05:56 PM
Telecom - I used to use 2D and Voda but their coverage was far too poor. The Wairarpa is shocking, at my ex's place the 2D/Voda reception was patchy, they lived about 300m from the main drag in the middle of Carterton so pretty damn close to the middle of a large built up centre and the reception was patchy :p Not good!

Telecom are NOT the cheapest, but that being said, their coverage and network performance are the best. 2D are the cheapest and offer some absolutely fantastic value for money, so you can probably see where this is going. It's like ISP's - Slingshit as it's affectionately known offers some (kinda) cheap plans but the performance is a reflection of its nickname.

If you live in a city or get 2D coverage most places you visit then there's nothing wrong with them, the only negliagble thing is their network performance when it comes to data. Telecom is what I use because they offer the best deal for the $19 combo pack but mostly because their coverage is far superior and their data network is much nicer. Calls/Texts they all pretty much come in 3rd equal. 2D's carryover is nice though!

Nomad
02-06-2013, 06:43 PM
Going with Error Guy - I live in a larger city, 2D reception is no problem. When I went skiing in Turangi 2D didn't roam off Voda but now it has been fixed - that was early days of 2D. So ok .. Their text and calls are great price not that diff - 44c and 9c while Voda is 49c and 12c - prepay that is. You probably won't be doing $30 top up every single month b/c if you did yo could just get the $30 postpaid (monthly) plans and get even more bang.

The issue for me is but I don't use it much is the data. If you just wanna casually use data like Facebook, twitter, email, web 2D is expensive at 50c per MB, they only have 50MB or 100MB monthly packs as their smallest packs for general users. They don't have daily $1 for 10MB. When I went overseas, did a layover in Auckland International Airport so I went online right .. 2D charged me $5 for 5MB. Their data network is also one of the slower one.

IMO if you do mainly text and calls 2D is ok if you get a good reception. If you do a bit of data even casually on a not too infrequent basis the other telco's have a better rounded product. When I was overseas data was always off. $30/MB. XT has a few countries all you can use, Voda have data angel packs. Some countries don't sell sims to non residents and at times with others if you are just doing a few days it's not worth it.

I got an imported Asian phone so for me it is 2D or Voda. If I infact had a phone that worked on all three telco's and I was on a contract it might be XT but Voda is coming out with 4G soon to the rest of the country.

When I do travel to other parts of NZ, I would use my secondary phone that is Voda cos the NZ data is cheaper when one visits the smaller tourist towns where 2D doesn't have their own equipment. So if I were to have just one phone it might be Voda or XT.

Nomad
02-06-2013, 06:56 PM
^correction that was 10MB for $5 abouts or $5.50 more specifically...

beetle
02-06-2013, 11:59 PM
Im with 2ds ive been with telecom............had useless coverage with them in my house and always lost ph calls while standing in my kitchen with T all the time..... never lost a call with 2ds yet.
was with Vodafone a while back..... was good then ...but have no idea now.
telecom and i had a major misunderstanding and now i wont go back to them and they wont accept me as a customer....lol

im sticking with 2ds, im just gona find a better phone..... im happy with their service, replied to my emails quickly, helped me with problems and call coverage im happy with them.

Digby
03-06-2013, 10:49 AM
Two Degrees

I joined them soon after they started.

They are more NZ owned than Vodafone and they were the ones that reduced prices in a big way.

Stuff Telecom and Vodafone for their duopoly that ripped us off for years.

It was well known that our mobile prices were just about the highest in the world aside from Mexico.

The Error Guy
03-06-2013, 05:17 PM
They are more NZ owned than Vodafone and they were the ones that reduced prices in a big way.

Stuff Telecom and Vodafone for their duopoly that ripped us off for years.

It was well known that our mobile prices were just about the highest in the world aside from Mexico.

+1 to that!

AppleFan
25-06-2013, 04:10 PM
hey guys sorry for the "very late reply" , well i can see the poll results now and the answer is most of the people prefer telecom and 2degrees and and interesting thing to see is that skinny is coming out strong too , a while ago like people said 2degrees use vodafone cellsite and so skinny use telecom , it seems telecom and 2 degrees are the winner . And oh yeah finally i go my phone fixed , and im also happy with 2 degrees now , it seemed that sim was faulty . Thanks i will put another poll up soon .

Chilling_Silence
25-06-2013, 04:30 PM
Skinny *is* Telecom.

2Degrees only use Vodafone Cell towers in certain instances, I don't believe it's in the main areas around towns and things.

dugimodo
25-06-2013, 05:39 PM
I've used VF & Telecom but not 2D. I find them both pretty good and they both have the $19 pack with similar value. Only difference for me is coverage, VF do better at my Home and work and Telecom do better everywhere else I frequent. I've switched to telecom after several years on VF and am not finding it significantly different.

I only originally went to VF because of SIM cards, telecom never had them and you had to muck around getting numbers transferred when you got a new phone. Two of telecoms biggest mistakes in the early days IMO was 1. picking a less common standard with fewer phone models available and 2. not supporting SIMs

Yes their network was technically better in some ways, but they didn't have the cool phones and lost a lot of customers for it.

gary67
25-06-2013, 08:01 PM
I've used VF & Telecom but not 2D. I find them both pretty good and they both have the $19 pack with similar value. Only difference for me is coverage, VF do better at my Home and work and Telecom do better everywhere else I frequent. I've switched to telecom after several years on VF and am not finding it significantly different.

I only originally went to VF because of SIM cards, telecom never had them and you had to muck around getting numbers transferred when you got a new phone. Two of telecoms biggest mistakes in the early days IMO was 1. picking a less common standard with fewer phone models available and 2. not supporting SIMs

Yes their network was technically better in some ways, but they didn't have the cool phones and lost a lot of customers for it.

2Degrees now do carryover minutes on the $19 pre pay plan, doubt the big too will follow this time. I was an ardent VF customer of 20 years on 2 continents but now 2D have better plans and coverage is good for all the places I go too

The Error Guy
25-06-2013, 11:18 PM
2D's carry over system is great, I'll admit that!

End of the day I pay extra for Telecom's coverage and performance. If I wanted a deal I'd go 2D. VF is crap (IMO) and Skinny... I won't discuss my opinion of them, It will get me banned :D

jonovw
26-06-2013, 12:30 AM
I find most places in Christchurch on 2degrees i struggle to get a solid hspa connection and it usually just runs on edge, which always times out and disconnects

gary67
26-06-2013, 07:58 AM
I find most places in Christchurch on 2degrees i struggle to get a solid hspa connection and it usually just runs on edge, which always times out and disconnects

That's weird I haven't found that at all since moving here last year

Chilling_Silence
26-06-2013, 09:27 AM

Their 3G data is like that even in suburban Auckland :-/

AppleFan
26-06-2013, 12:47 PM

hey , the issue you seem to have i seem to have this a while ago but in auckland , being on edge it used to timeout and disconnect , , im not sure about hspa connection , some tech experts might me here , but the problem is solved is now solved .

so any people who know about this edge and hspa and other tyoes of connection , feel free to write about them , im really interested to know about it . Thnx

Nomad
26-06-2013, 01:17 PM
I've only used 2D for data very occasionally, it's quite a bit slower. Voda was faster. We get our phones from Asia so XT wasn't an option for us really.

For us basically, 2D is a bit cheaper so we use that, we can get (choose) our own number too to an extent. When we travel I prefer to use Voda since the data rates at the small towns are cheaper. The Voda is now my 2nd handset with an old phone for annoying sales people.

We don't get into the bestmates, carry over min or data or whatever etc. Per the minute call rate or text, they're almost the same between Voda and 2D. Nor do we top up $30 every single month to get the bonus perks, if we did, could have joined a $30 monthly plan :lol: And against 2D's (?) $19 plan, I think the other two have something similar too.

Undecided when I use up this credit, one time there was an offer of top up to $100 and you get a 100% bonus. That was 2yrs ago or so ... but IMO since then there haven't been much discounts other than those by-products like carry over credit and what not.

PS, if I had a phone that supported all telco's, maybe XT then :D I know a few people that have an iPhone from Asia and went with Telecom XT.

Ninjabear
26-06-2013, 09:04 PM
I like 2degrees
I find Vodafone rather greedy and more confusing are the list of plans they have on their website which makes it more confusing.
2degrees is simple , everything is clear and their customer service are better and quicker than Vodafone.

It's hard to compare the plans up on the Vodafone Website . You really need to write down every single plan they have to compare..

I do however acknowledge that Vodafone's reception is much better than 2degrees