PDA

View Full Version : Slave Hard Drive

01-12-2001, 07:24 PM
Hi, I've got a computer with p100 with 32 mb ram and 850 mb hard drive. Since this drive was the one used to replace the old drive, because it had too much bad sectors. So now i'm wondering if there is a way that when I install the drive again (to make it slave) that it will only display and USE the good bits, approx. 650mb. I really want to see if it is possible, so could somebody help, even though if you think differently to me, because i won't to try it out, and if i don't feel it's going the way its meant to be then i'll take it out. So, if you don't understand me still, i want to put a 800mb hard drive (with bad sectrs)as slave on top of a 850mb drive then do something, even if it means doing it in windows or bios or whatever, to make the bad sectors all disappear so that when i run scandisk on it, it'll show only the good bits and not the bad sectors (that is: show 650mb ( i guess) with 650 all good) is there any way to doing this, even with nortons system doctor or something, anything!

Thanks

01-12-2001, 11:30 PM
SY, you need to run a low level format on the hard drive.

I'm not sure how to do this, but I did it myself once and it removed the bad sectors from the drive.

I think it was with a nortons utility.

01-12-2001, 11:49 PM
We know you like to persist against sound advice that says discard a drive that has bad sectors as they will only propagate sooner or later, but one way if the bad bits are all in one spot, is to determine where they are and then make a partition in that region, then hide the partition.

Your BIOS may have a low level format facility, but there is no guarantee it will be appropriate for your drive, you may end up with a non working drive, but you have little to lose.
However dont forget these bad sectors can be actual physical damage to the disk surface, and can result in debris creating further damage. The gap between the heads and the disk surface is very small.

02-12-2001, 01:17 AM
You could try the /C option on the DOS format command.

Something like 'FORMAT D: /C'.

You could consider adding scandisk to your autoexec.bat so the drive is checked regularly since the errors will probably spread.

02-12-2001, 08:55 AM
They aren't in the same spot, they're spreaded around the drive so do you know any other way or ways?

Thanks anyway