PDA

View Full Version : Dual Boot

01-12-2001, 03:20 PM
I have just successfully loaded Mandrake 8.0 on a partition on my C: drive.

By default, the installation put LILO onto the boot sector and I have made the default 'Windows'.

So far so good. On boot up, I get an opportunity to choose linux, if not, it defaults to windows (Win98SE)

The only problem is that sometimes only, when it goes to windows I get the initial windows screen, then it goes to a screen (colourful) that is gobbledygook (indescribable).

To fix, I can Ctrl/Alt/Del twice. It reboots and suggest safe mode, I choose normal mode and it loads Win98SE perfectly.

Any ideas????

Comments much appreciated.

TIA
Paul

01-12-2001, 10:51 PM
If you are using the graphical menu (default) it seems to conflict with the windows splash.

For me Mandrake disabled the windows logo by setting Logo=0 in MSDOS.SYS (I would have prefered for it to ask me before messing with another OS).

If you want to keep the windows splash you can set mandrake to use a text based menu by logging in as root, running Mandrake Control Center, going to boot config (or similar) and choosing Lilo with text menu (or similar, I'm currently in windows so can't be specific).

02-12-2001, 02:55 PM
I bet that the 'sometimes' are when you have run Linux, then exited from that and rebooted, without powering down. The video will be still set up for high resolution, and Windows is trying to display a low resolution splash screen.

Either of b m's suggestions should work. Otherwise, just use linux! Think of all the disk space you can recover.

02-12-2001, 06:26 PM
Thanks Guys, that does seem to have fixed it :^)

I don't think it was the high resolution problem though. After much trying, it only seemed to occur if I let the time run down. If I hit <enter> before the countdown finished it loaded OK - Go figure!

Paul