PDA

View Full Version : passwords / dial up connection

01-12-2001, 02:21 PM
I have a HP 4509 and using the recovery disks supplied have formated the hard drive.
my problems are before I formated my family had their own passwords and now the the password word fuction no longer enables us to set up our passwords so everyone has the same screen.

2nd problem
the dial up connection will not hold the commands 'save password & connect automaticly'

I have uninstalled dial up conection and reinstalled but still won't work
Please bear in mind that your answers will have to be very basic as i do not have a lot of computer savy

01-12-2001, 05:05 PM
Hi. It usually helps to provide more info re. your operating system and specs. Sorry can't advise further re. the first point, but I think the following will answer your second, assuming you have Win9.x

... Go Start, Programs, Accessories, Communications, Dial up Networking. (More or less depending which ver you have). Maximise DUN screen, click Connections, Settings, then tick the checkbox for Prompt for Information Before Dialing.

Hope that helps.

01-12-2001, 06:37 PM
'my family had their own passwords and now the the password word fuction no longer enables us to set up our passwords so everyone has the same screen.'

Are you meaning that you each had your own Windows setup that you typed a password for when you turn on the computer and it loads up how you each personally want it? To turn this back on, do this:

Start > Settings > Control Panel > Users

Follow the instructions onscreen to set up each user, and from there you should be able to set up each new profile for each family member.

To have the password information saved in the Dial Up Connection box, try this:

Start > Settings > Control Panel > Network

Where it says 'Primary Network Logon' select 'Client for Microsoft Networks' or 'Microsoft Family Logon' (the second of these options would probably fit better if setting up the profiles of the first part of your question.)

Hope this helps

Mike