PDA

View Full Version : Network Printing on Windows 7/8

Ninjabear
30-05-2013, 10:57 PM
Hi

I recently purchased a new Modem /Router
It's Asus DSL N-55U

There's a USB slot at the back of the modem and so I plugged it in which was detected from the modem's configuration screen.

I'm trying to setup the printer so I can print without the use of USB Cables.

I added the printer as TCP/IP with the IP address 192.168.1.1 and chose LPR port.
When trying to do a test page using Microsoft Word the printer won't print and there's a communication error to the printer.

It seems it can't detect the printer at all.
The printer is an EPson TX610FW. Does anyone have a hard time with network printing at home?

ronyville
30-05-2013, 11:01 PM
192.168.1.1 is normally the router IP. Give the printer something different like .50 maybe. You cant have the same IP for router and printer.

pcuser42
30-05-2013, 11:02 PM
Same printer as mine :)192.168.1.1 is the router's IP, not the printer's, so you need to check the printer's IP address and use that as the port.Also helps if you connect the printer using Ethernet. :pEDIT: Also, when it's connected directly to the network Windows 8 will pick it up automatically and can print straight away :)

dugimodo
30-05-2013, 11:18 PM
I have that router, I updated the firmware and the new web interface had an option to download asus ezy printer sharing, a little program you run that detects the printer and sets it up for you, worked a treat. Occasionally it seems to stop working and I run the program again but otherwise pretty painless.

A warning though, after the firmware update it took a bit of mucking around to get back on the net, and it seemed to keep defaulting to Australia. The wizard worked, but not the first couple tries for some reason. It's a totally different interface to what mine came with. Then again log into your router and have a look, it may have the new firmware already, use a browser and go to 192.168.1.1, log in using admin as user name and password. Under the USB menu, printer sharing or something like that is the option I am talking about.

Ninjabear
30-05-2013, 11:20 PM
I have plugged the printer using ethernet port to the modem and a light blinks up on the modem under the number 4 which means it can see the printer.
I checked the printer under general network setup and see the IP as being 0.0.0.0 . The modem's network map doesn't identify the printer as being part of a client.
Any ideas what to do Now?

Thanks

pcuser42
30-05-2013, 11:26 PM
Do the computers get an IP address?

Ninjabear
30-05-2013, 11:28 PM
Ok Nvm.. I got it to work now
I went to the printer settings and reset it to factory network setting it managed to pickup a new IP address so I went to control panel , manually added a printer and it print fine.

Thanks for the help guys, Should've thought of ethernet before

Speedy Gonzales
31-05-2013, 10:30 AM
If its similar to this one the N12U B1, that port may not support ALL printers. I think this one only supports a few (there's a list somewhere on the ASUS site). That'll work with it.

Altho, I dont use it anway, since the printer is wireless. So, it doesnt matter where I plug it in. I can print to it