PDA

View Full Version : Windows xp is giving me a hard time.

01-12-2001, 10:47 AM
hi there, the other day, after deciding to remove linux, i decided i needed to do a fdisk /mbr, which I did, and I believe it went well, but then i installed Powerquest bootmagic, and I believe this has screwed up my windows xp startup.

I type this message from windows 98, waiting to go back to my other, more preferred OS :)

The error message I get on startup is:
autocheck program not found - skipping AUTOCHECK

STOP: c0000021a {Fatal system Error}
The session Manager Initilization system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000034 (0x00000000 0x00000000).
The system has been shut down.

Thanks in advance,
Jonathan Giles

01-12-2001, 12:06 PM
Hi Jonathan,

I think your guess of bootmagic being at fault is correct. As to how to how to fix it there are a few things you could try. As I havn't broken XP yet some of these tricks may have changed from W2K and may not apply. Try Last Known Good mode when booting up. Try a repair (not recovery console) by booting from the XP CD and have windows 'Inspect Boot Sector'. Reboot and test. If no luck then run another repair and select 'Inspect Startup Environment'. If you can remember the Administrator password and can get into the recovery console command line, try running 'chkdsk c: /F'
If you can't get to the recovery console and have another partition available you could install a temporary copy of XP on it to get you access to a XP command line.
Good luck with your mission, I doubt it's impossible to fix, but it could go well beyond these techniques listed here.

01-12-2001, 12:59 PM
Thanks alot, I appreciate any help I can get.
As for your suggestions, I'm going to print them out, and try them all.
Just a few questions:

1) How do I select Last Known good mode? I'm assuming it's a button press at the right time - actually - come to think of it, it'll be during that time the screen is black with the dos-type bar across the bottom, wouldn't it?

2) Booting from the XP CD gives me the option to go to recovery console (and typing in the password I KNOW is correct doesn't seem to get me admin priviledges (it's my personal computer, I am admin)), or to repair/reinstall. The repair afaik tries to copy files, then I am told it can not fix the problem.

And no, I doubt it's impossible to fix, I've had far worse problems in my past, but with Windows XP, I'm still 'untrained', and my way of learning is near-deliberatly subotaging my computer. How else am I supposed to learn? :)

Anyways, thanks alot,
if you have any other ideas I'm keen to hear them,
Jonathan Giles