PDA

View Full Version : Need a website where files can be downloaded, with or without a password

Strommer
29-05-2013, 02:04 PM
The club that I belong to would like to put its newsletters (PDF)
and a few other documents (MS Word) on a web site so that our members
can easily download them by clicking on a link emailed to them.

We may need a section of this web site, or a separate web site,
where files can only be accessed with a password.

Some web sites that offer these features require :groan: membership of
that organization - we do not want this as most of our members
will not bother to join as a member even if it is simple and quick.

Free would be nice, or $$ but cheap.

Any suggestions? :thanks

gary67
29-05-2013, 02:07 PM
Dropbox?

Gobe1
29-05-2013, 02:09 PM
Dropbox?

Yeah my first thought too

29-05-2013, 02:15 PM
Google Drive
It was very easy to do.
Drag & drop into the browser & file gets uploaded
You just type in the email adress's you want to have access to the file & a link gets sent to those emails

Chilling_Silence
29-05-2013, 02:33 PM
Google Drive or Megaupload :)

Terry Porritt
29-05-2013, 02:38 PM
Box.net has a free 5GB storage option.

Dannz
29-05-2013, 02:44 PM
My vote is for google drive too :)

Strommer
29-05-2013, 03:25 PM
Google Drive
It was very easy to do.
Drag & drop into the browser & file gets uploaded
You just type in the email adress's you want to have access to the file & a link gets sent to those emails

Is this the only way? All we want to do is to send an email (via our secretary's email distribution list)
to all members that has a link where the file can be downloaded.

I personally use Yahoo and Google Groups as the moderator of several groups, and I can
send one email that in turn distributes the email to all members, and if the email has an
attached file, that will be sent as well. BUT this is not what we want to do in this case - in other
words, all we want to do is to notify our members that there is a file (usually a newsletter or a photo)
that can be downloaded from such-and-such a site, and have them click on the link and access
the file without having to register as a member of Yahoo, Google, Dropbox, etc. - and without having
to use a password. It has to be easy peasy simple: Click and download, or Click and view.

Thanks for the other suggestions - I will look at Dropbox, Google Drive and Box.net - but if someone could confirm
that these do what we want, it would save me time :p

[edit] Dropbox.net gave a Web of Trust WARNING!! :waughh: :annoyed:

Terry Porritt
29-05-2013, 03:44 PM
With Box.net when you upload a file, there is an option to share it publicly, ie no password required. A URL link to the file is given which you can copy and then send out via emails.
I use Box.net for friends, relations to download files via a supplied URL and to post links to files on forum websites.

For example a photo of a diamond stylus https://www.box.com/shared/rbr8ogf8v7 it could just as well be a pdf.

Strommer
29-05-2013, 03:59 PM
[edit] Dropbox.net gave a Web of Trust WARNING!! :waughh: :annoyed:[/QUOTE]

My bad. Typo - it should have been Box.net as Terry Porrit posted (which redirects to https://www.box.com/)

Strommer
29-05-2013, 04:00 PM
With Box.net when you upload a file, there is an option to share it publicly, ie no password required. A URL link to the file is given which you can copy and then send out via emails.
I use Box.net for friends, relations to download files via a supplied URL and to post links to files on forum websites.

For example a photo of a diamond stylus https://www.box.com/shared/rbr8ogf8v7 it could just as well be a pdf.

Terry - this looks good, and should do what we want.

I just fiddled around with Dropbox but that is a NO GO as individual email addresses
have to be entered and then each person has to set up a Dropbox account.

Chilling_Silence
29-05-2013, 04:17 PM
In Google Drive you can do just that. One of the options is "Viewable by anybody with the link", which is what you want :)

Strommer
29-05-2013, 04:40 PM
In Google Drive you can do just that. One of the options is "Viewable by anybody with the link", which is what you want :)

Thanks Chill - I missed that.

Terry - I have uploaded a few files to Box.com and it seems to be working OK.
I will wait to see what our committee members think of it but it looks good. Thanks.
Maybe we can use (Chill's) Google Drive for files to be accessed with a password, and Box.com for newsletters.

Chilling_Silence
29-05-2013, 05:08 PM
With Drive it should work for either? :-/

PPp
31-05-2013, 09:57 PM
Ubntu One generates a web address. Just copy and paste