PDA

View Full Version : Wifi network refreshing and going unsecured?

Goober
29-05-2013, 02:26 PM
Hi There,
Have my wireless router setup with WPA for the moment (tried WPA2 as well), and having an issue. All our home stuff connects fine, passwords all setup fine, the signal strength is Excellent.

Than I'll get the notification in the bottom right of screen saying "Connected to XX Network (unsecured)"

Anyone have any idea how to fix?

Dannz
29-05-2013, 02:29 PM
Is XX network you are referring to your home network?
there is a chance your computers are jumping onto a different network.

Does it work when it's connected to the right network?

Goober
29-05-2013, 02:33 PM
Hey Dannz,
Yeah, home network, and only connecting to the same home network. So connects to XX network straight up, then later, can be any period of minutes or hours, it posts the notification that it is (unsecured), but the same network name.

Just remembered why using WPA, it's because one computer connected doesn't have the option for WPA2. Anyone know what software/driver needs to be updated to allow WPA2? It's on XP.

29-05-2013, 03:11 PM
Just remembered why using WPA, it's because one computer connected doesn't have the option for WPA2. Anyone know what software/driver needs to be updated to allow WPA2? It's on XP.

XP SP3 (service pack3) & the latest wifi card/device driver often will fix that issue.
A bios update MIGHT help (did for 1 laptop I fixed)

anyway....
It sounds like the wifi router is on the blink. You may need to replace it, or do a firmware update
Whats the brand, model & age of the wifi router ?

Chilling_Silence
29-05-2013, 03:35 PM
Whats the brand, model & age of the wifi router ?

Yeah I'd start with that. I've seen similar issues on Linksys routers under load...

Speedy Gonzales
29-05-2013, 04:18 PM
I get the same message on the laptop I fixed here with XP. Wouldnt worry about it its still secure. The laptop is the only thing that says it. The rest are Win 7 (a desktop and a netbook) and Win8 (another desktop), theyre connected to the same modem/router. And dont say the same thing

And other users on other forums, have had the same message. And people have said there's nothing to worry about

Dont know if its because (here anyway) the modem / desktops and the netbook are wireless N. The laptop with XP on it is only wireless G

Speedy Gonzales
29-05-2013, 04:31 PM
Ran out of time here's the same prob (http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1898431)

Goober
29-05-2013, 04:55 PM
Thanks guys!
I will rest easier, and make sure I update to SP3 and the driver on the affected lappy, to go to WPA2.

FWIW, Model is Dick Smith XH9948 so quite old (3 years or so?).

Robin S_
31-05-2013, 12:49 AM
Win XP SP3 seems to have a habit of firing off 'something isn't working/is disconnected' balloon messages. My wife's laptop regularly does this without any indication that something is actually amiss. Its favourite is "Your antivirus programme [Security Essentials] is turned off" or words to that effect at startup before the AV has even loaded. Another common one is "One of the attached USB devices is not working" (OWTTE) when all 3 are (printer, 4-port hub and mouse plugged into it).We just ignore them but may fall in one day when it isn't crying wolf.