PDA

View Full Version : modem noise

30-11-2001, 10:21 PM
modem noise. problem is...i don't have any and i'd like some. i am aware of the windows setting for it but it still does not chirp. i have seen tip for extra settings in pc world but..., i am using windows XP and there does not appear to be any other settings other than the windows settings for volume itself.

01-12-2001, 12:08 AM
Near on the connection tab try disabling check for dial tone.

If will mean it dials blindly, but it should get the speaker to work.

01-12-2001, 01:09 AM
You may need to plug something into your actual modem from your soundcard to get any sound. My modem doesn't have a speaker in it like my old one, but there is a connection from the modem to the sound card and the connection noise comes through the speakers

01-12-2001, 06:25 AM
I don't know about XP, but in other Windows versions upto and including 2000, you had to turn the modem volume off or on in two places.

One is in dialup networking/ properties/ modem/ configure.

And the other was in control panel/ modems/ properties.

01-12-2001, 07:12 AM
It is not unknown for the piezo sound device on the modem card to fail, in which case no amount of software fiddling will bring back sound.

01-12-2001, 03:06 PM
Lost my modem sound a few weeks ago. Couldn't understand it all as all settings appeared correct. Finally found the problem - had 2 sets of speakers plugged in - 1 to the sound card and 1 to the modem. Guess which speakers had the power turned off? Duh! Removed the speakers from the modem and the internal speaker operated again.