PDA

View Full Version : Registry Cleaner

curly
28-05-2013, 09:46 PM
I need a registry cleaner that does not cost a lot. Tried RegClean Pro, which found 577 problems and wanted dollars to fix the registry.

Is there a program that I might download, that will scan the registry, get rid of any junk found and repair any faults found ?

Nick G
28-05-2013, 10:00 PM
RegClean Pro sounds dodgy, I'd stay away from it.

If you really want a registry cleaner CCleaner has it as part of CCleaner, but even then I wouldn't really bother.

GameJunkie
28-05-2013, 10:17 PM
Ccleaner

Speedy Gonzales
28-05-2013, 10:20 PM
Dont use any reg cleaners. Even ccleaner can delete valid entries

Renegade
29-05-2013, 09:34 AM
^ That it can! Looked at a Win7 laptop after a guy had run CC with all the registry clean boxes ticked, and it wiped out the network services - oops. And he didn't make a CC backup before nuking. Luckily the BlackViper (http://www.blackviper.com/2010/12/16/windows-7-service-pack-1-services-registry-files-2/) default registry services file saved a re-install.

29-05-2013, 10:00 AM
Dont use any reg cleaners. Even ccleaner can delete valid entries

+1
You really dont want a reg cleaner.

The Error Guy
29-05-2013, 12:02 PM
On OS's Pre Win7 Reg cleaners were helpful. Now on Win7/8 you're likely to cause more problems than fix. Yes you can make a small improvement but the power of today's systems combined with much more efficient OS's means that the chances of spending hours fixing accidental registry damage vs the 0.2% performance gain is just more pain than it's even worth.

If you must http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner must make sure you save a backup :)

Dannz
29-05-2013, 01:11 PM
Agree with everyone above. It's not worth the hassle!

GameJunkie
29-05-2013, 01:33 PM
indeed

Terry Porritt
29-05-2013, 03:52 PM
Registry cleaners don't actually repair any registry errors despite the hype. They find entries that are orphaned, left overs from uninstalled programs, or shortcuts to non-existent programs etc. These sort of entries do no harm, but having said that I do use cleaners to periodically to remove junk, like ccleaner, Registry First Aid, or Glary Utils......but you do have to enjoy living dangerously..............:)

CliveM
29-05-2013, 04:00 PM
Registry cleaners don't actually repair any registry errors despite the hype. They find entries that are orphaned, left overs from uninstalled programs, or shortcuts to non-existent programs etc. These sort of entries do no harm, but having said that I do use cleaners to periodically to remove junk, like ccleaner, Registry First Aid, or Glary Utils......but you do have to enjoy living dangerously..............:)

That is exactly what I do.Never had a problem with it but I do make sure I have an up to date image ready just in case it all goes pear shaped.

Winston001
30-05-2013, 12:52 AM
Registry cleaners don't actually repair any registry errors despite the hype. They find entries that are orphaned, left overs from uninstalled programs, or shortcuts to non-existent programs etc. These sort of entries do no harm....:)

Are you sure about that Terry? I view the Registry as a sort of phone book. As time passes entries become out of date so they point to null or void places on the hard drive. The more void arrows the more time is used by the CPU searching. Its always seemed to me that registry cleaning is fundamental to fast computing.

Happy to be wrong. :D

Terry Porritt
30-05-2013, 08:52 AM
Are you sure about that Terry? I view the Registry as a sort of phone book. As time passes entries become out of date so they point to null or void places on the hard drive. The more void arrows the more time is used by the CPU searching. Its always seemed to me that registry cleaning is fundamental to fast computing.

Happy to be wrong. :D

You are right Winston, invalid entries may well take up time, but I've never checked that. I really meant they do no harm (generally speaking) in the sense of causing BSODS or preventing Windows booting.

If there is a registry error that causes a serious problem, or there is a vital missing entry, the cleaners wont 'repair' that, (AFAIK).

30-05-2013, 12:45 PM
One of my issues is the way the companies that sell reg cleaners operate

Flooding the interwebs with bogus reviews
paying people to write bogus reviews
installing by stealth
using scare tactics to get payments: "you have 500 serious issues that need to be fixed , click hear to buy the full version" etc
almost fraud in the way most of these companies operate

bevy121
30-05-2013, 01:43 PM
"click hear to buy the full version"

is that to listen to how much it costs? hehe :)

ChazTheGeek
30-05-2013, 05:42 PM
Just use CCleaner.

apsattv
31-05-2013, 12:43 AM
NTREGOPT is the only one to trust

har
31-05-2013, 03:20 PM
I've seen people say that regcleanpro often formats their harddrive
weird thing, so I sau stay away from reg cleaners. unless u really know what u r doing

LukeM
31-05-2013, 03:55 PM
If you really wanted to use cCleaner, but as others have suggested, I wouldn't bother.