PDA

View Full Version : Computer Parts Prices

Clod
28-05-2013, 11:54 AM
Well I'm slowly gathering the bits to build the computer got all the cheaper bits now have the expensive bits to go- CPU, Motherboard and Video card. There seems to be new stuff coming out of all three in the next month or two, so would I be right in assuming existing hardware prices will drop ?

Driftwood
28-05-2013, 12:05 PM
Be nice to think so.
I've been watching the Intel Core i7 3770k for several months, but it hasn't changed much.

Agent_24
28-05-2013, 12:47 PM
The basic law is to wait until after you buy them, that's when the largest price drop happens.

linw
28-05-2013, 03:23 PM
The basic law is to wait until after you buy them, that's when the largest price drop happens.
Ain't that the truth!!

Clod
28-05-2013, 03:27 PM
Very true, although I notice the motherboaed I'm looking at has gone up $10.

dugimodo
28-05-2013, 08:09 PM
When you want a PC component and have the cash, buy it. There is always a change around the corner, not worth worrying about. For example the Haswell CPU's due out soon will be faster and more efficient than ivy bridge, But the performance difference is apparently <= 5%. Also older CPUs often go up in price after new technology arrives not down, probably because supply is limited and people still want upgrades and replacements for older hardware. An exception is possibly when the new model is less than a couple of weeks away then it may be worth waiting for. I'm wary of early adoption though, I've been stung before. The manufacturers often seem to have problems with the first batch of new hardware that only gets discovered when a lot of people start using it.

autechre
29-05-2013, 09:47 AM
As above, as soon as you have the cash for all the bits you need - get them.

There are always new components coming out, so there is no perfect time to buy stuff.

Paul.Cov
01-06-2013, 08:28 AM
I'd decide on the mobo first of all before getting other components, as the mobo may influence choices of CPU, RAM, GPU, PSU, case.

Do it the other way around and you may find your existing hardware makes for some less than ideal mobo choices, or you find once you've got the mobo that it would have been better with paired or faster RAM sticks.

FoxyMX
01-06-2013, 12:58 PM
Be nice to think so.
I've been watching the Intel Core i7 3770k for several months, but it hasn't changed much.

Ditto. I had planned to buy the bits and put a new system together several months ago but with one thing and another happening I still haven't got around to doing so. I thought the prices would have gone down a bit in the meantime but they haven't. Some have even gone up a few dollars. :rolleyes:

LukeM
01-06-2013, 01:53 PM
Once Haswell is launched, the prices of Intel processors should go down quite a bit, so that's probably your best time to be purchasing CPU's.

dugimodo
02-06-2013, 01:13 AM
Once Haswell is launched, the prices of Intel processors should go down quite a bit, so that's probably your best time to be purchasing CPU's.

As I already mentioned the prices may well go up, not down. Maybe they'll be cheap when retailers clear some stock, but after that don't expect them to be cheap. They will be making and selling less of them, prices on socket 1156 never really dropped below 1155 at all that I recall.

Driftwood
06-06-2013, 09:34 PM
Just checked the cpu, gpu, mobo & ram I have been watching & all have gone down a few $$$$$