PDA

View Full Version : Hibernate

30-11-2001, 08:20 PM
Anyone know how to get the computer to Hibernate? The Windows help thing says that Hibernate will *only* show up if my computer can handle hibernation.

So..............

My computer handle's hibernation fine. Every time I install Windows (ME at the moment) Hibernate is there in the Shutdown menu, and works fine... until I install something new, then it disappears, never to reappear (until I format and install again)...

why is this, and what do I do to get it back?

As usual this isn't really a problem I NEED solving, just something that's bugging the heck out of me :)

01-12-2001, 12:05 PM
Hi Mike,

Which program did you install? It may have installed some drivers which are incompatible with the hibernation feature.

First, check to see which drivers are holding you back: Click on Start, choose Run and then in the Open: field type nohiber.txt. Doing so will list the drivers that need to be updated before you can enable the Hibernate feature. After you have updated the drivers, click on Start, and choose Settings, Control Panel. Double-click on the Power Options icon and choose Properties. There you can enable hibernation. The next time you shut down, the Hibernate option should be available in your Shut Down menu.

01-12-2001, 05:54 PM
Its never made any difference what program I've installed... A clean install of Windows and hibernate is there... anything else added (IE6, Office 2000, Sound programs etc.) causes the option to disappear...

Typed that nohiber.txt... it lists emu10k1.vxd which I believe is associated with the Sound Blaster Live card. Although I didn't install this for ages after the hibernate feature disappeared.