PDA

View Full Version : Backing up C: to CD-R

30-11-2001, 07:08 PM
Hi !
Been trying to do a full back up to CD-R or CD-RW using Adaptec software.
Although CD Direct for CD-RW compresses data - does it still mean I have to tranfer over data piecemeal for writing - or is there a way of doing a continuous 'write' filling up a disk at a time automatically until complete -like when using MS Backup to floppys - Thanks for your help
Simon

30-11-2001, 07:49 PM
Even if you can do that ('spanning' is the term), it is a bad idea. If you have an enormous compressed file and there is an error in it you have very little chance of reading stuff after the error. If it is on a set of disks and you run your chair caster over one of the CDs or some other catastrophe happens, you have no longer got a backup.

The safest method is to break up your backup into logical 'units' -- one directory at a time, or one type of file or whatever. Then you make sure that you have several separate 'pieces of plastic' containing copies of the most important data. Then you keep the separate copies in different places.

02-12-2001, 01:38 AM
What version are you running mine is 5 and does all the compression etc for you though my back would use up 18 disks havent tried it yrt as i tend to back up everything on cdr anyways also use go back it has saved my pc so many times if you want need any help contact me kiwibeat@hotmail.com

02-12-2001, 09:19 PM
Get hold of BackupMaker from http://www.adprog.tsx.org/

Very simple to use .. can copy whole directories or individual files.

HIH