PDA

View Full Version : Power cut and now broadband does not work

Digby
27-05-2013, 09:51 PM
Hi Guys

I builtt up a new computer for my daughter a few months ago. All running great.

The other day they had a power cut and when the power came back on, she could get get her broadband going again.

She is in a rural area and is with xtra.

Xtra have check it from their end and say its all OK.

On her modem 3 lights are going but not the ethernet 1 (cable ) light.

The telecom technician said a driver might be missing or something has come lose inside (she has not touched it!)

Any suggestions ?

Its an Asus motherboard with onboard ethernet.

I have not been there yet as its a long drive.

zqwerty
27-05-2013, 10:43 PM
Restart the modem.

Chilling_Silence
27-05-2013, 11:30 PM
What are the three lights on, on her modem? I'm guessing it's Power, DSL and Internet? (Or something to that effect)?

wainuitech
27-05-2013, 11:47 PM
On her modem 3 lights are going but not the ethernet 1 (cable ) light The modem and Computer are not connecting.

Try another port on the modem/router if it has them.

Remove the plugs from their sockets, plug back in again, something may have come lose some how.

Have a look at the Ethernet port on the PC, most have a LED glowing when theres a connection.

Sometimes when a power cut hits and comes back equipment gets a belt and can damage the ports, not very often but it does happen.

One other thing you can check ( relating to drivers - but unlikely) clcik start ( assuming its W7) type in Device - select Device manager - any thing expanded or signs of explanation marks !!

(now waits for the nut job who says power surges dont exist -- we should all remember that guy in this forum) :p

linw
27-05-2013, 11:51 PM
"but not the ethernet 1 (cable ) light"

Can we assume this is the ethernet socket being used to connect the PC? If so, try another socket, assuming there is more than one. Also, is the ethernet link light on at the PC ethernet socket?

Edit:- WT, you could have waited a few more seconds!!

wainuitech
28-05-2013, 10:43 AM
Narrrrrr lin :p Just means theres a backup to both our suggestions, two people thinking the same thing gotta be right somewhere :D

linw
28-05-2013, 03:22 PM
Perhaps you're right.

OTOH, we could both be wrong - but I prefer your take on it!

dugimodo
28-05-2013, 08:31 PM
I'd try shutting everything down, turning it off at the wall, and waiting 5 mins. Sometimes hardware gets it self in a strange state after a sudden power down and needs a cold start to come right (yes I know the power cut already effectively did that but even so sometimes the power doesn't come back smoothly either). Include the router as well, it could be either end of the ethernet connection that's not working.

I think I know who was being referred to with the power surges comment, but I've been known to argue against surge protectors before. Surges do occur but in most areas are pretty uncommon, much more likely is data corruption due to a disk operation not being completed properly, it might even be one of those cases where system restore is worth a crack. I hear for some people it fixes things, never worked for me to date but I live and hope. Try restoring to a date prior to the power outage if possible.

Rant follows, feel free to skip.
Back on the surge protector thing, read the fine print - they protect from a pretty specific set of circumstances such as a short burst of overvoltage from faulty transformer. Not useless but nowhere near as good as people think they are. I've had a UPS and a few surge protectors, they've never been anything but an annoyance for me. The UPS failed and fried my 8 port switch and router (PC survived, a good PSU has fairly good protection built in) and one of the surge protectors just eventually stopped letting power through at all. I've been running trouble free without them for over 5 years now, for the cost spent buying them, maintaining the batteries, and in my case replacing the gear they fried, I'd rather just keep a backup of anything critical and replace anything that gets damaged. Cheaper overall and not particularly difficult for me to repair as needed. I was considering a small UPS again just for my router so I can use the net in a power outage on my tablet, but then I realised that's so infrequent as to be a total waste of money.

Digby
28-05-2013, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the tips guy, I will let you know what happens.

Digby
28-05-2013, 10:01 PM
Have not been there yet, but....

Over the phone we tried turning off modem for a while - still no ethernet light on.

We tried swapping the cable to plug number two - still no ethernet light.

And she checked the back of the pc and no light flashing by the ethernet cable.

Then we went into Device Manager and there is no line for Notwork adaptor.

So does this mean the hardware is damaged or does it mean that the driver needs re-installing ?

wainuitech
28-05-2013, 10:43 PM
"Normally" if its a driver, in Device manager you would see unknown device or a entry with a explanation mark.

One thing to try is go into the BIOS, reset it back to default. On the odd occasion power related problems can screw up the settings.

Being an ASUS ( from memory) press F2 during boot, then F9 to reset to default, F10 to save and exit

One other thing you can try is see if the OS can detect anything, If the OS is W7, click start, type in hdwwiz select it, run the wizard. If it doesn't auto detect the adaptor, you can manually tell it to search for a specific adapter, BUT you need to know which one. If its XP, control Panel / Add remove hardware --- Same procedure.

Failing all that, you need to find out if its OS or Hardware related. This is where a bootable CD OS like most flavors of Linux comes in handy. A bootable CD by -passes the Windows OS, if the internet works Via the CD then its a Windows problem, if not then its usually hardware.

Trev
28-05-2013, 10:53 PM
My Asus mb you hold the delete key down to get into the bios.
:)

dugimodo
29-05-2013, 01:13 AM
or a entry with a explanation mark. :lol: love the typo, I'm assuming that exclamation :D

wainuitech
29-05-2013, 09:07 AM
Yep typo :) Was watching TV at the same time.

Paul.Cov
30-05-2013, 08:01 AM
Do we know for sure it's a network cable connection?

What if it's USB, which won't have a light on the back of the computer. I haven't seen many consumer level machines which offer a second socket for a network plug.

From my own limited experience, network systems can get fried.

My nephew kindly tried to plug a live phone line (rural dialup) into a network socket... and that was the last time that socket ever worked, thanks to the plug being smaller than the socket, and carrying 50v at the time he stuffed it into the socket.

Sigh.

Digby
03-06-2013, 01:31 AM
Its an ethernet cable connection plug number 1.

I am off to visit her computer tomorrow.

Could I try to re-instal the driver from the motherboard's dvd ? or do I need to try re-installing it from Windows first ?

wainuitech
03-06-2013, 01:05 PM
If possible take a laptop or something else that can plug into the router /etherent cable - see if its working. If it does then the problem is with the computers port, if it doesn't then its either a cable or the router problem.

You need to sort out where the problem actually is, no point in spending time trying to fix the PC if its a router problem.

If possible take a working router as well - just in case.

If the computer is the problem, removing the controller - Etherent / network Via device manager, rebooting, should auto detect "new Hardware" and re-install the drivers. If it doesn't then it could be damaged. Take a bootable Linux CD as well, if its a OS problem, a linux CD should detect the connection and work.