PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 install programs

QW.
27-05-2013, 02:31 PM
I have just done a clean reinstall of Winwdows 7 on my desktop and am wondering what programs I need to install before I connect it to the internet. MSE is one that I can think and possibly Spybot2.

Is there anything else I need to install before I connect the desktop to the internet?

Speedy Gonzales
27-05-2013, 02:35 PM
Nope. It (should install the nic / MAYBE the wireless drivers), so you can connect. Just install the chipset / other drivers that show as not installed in device manager. You dont have to install 1000's of security programs just to get online.

All I've got on these is MSE, that's it. And nothing on the netbook, (well this isn't online all the time), and an AV program slows it down, booting into windows

QW.
27-05-2013, 02:45 PM
Nope. It (should install the nic / MAYBE the wireless drivers), so you can connect. Just install the chipset / other drivers that show as not installed in device manager. You dont have to install 1000's of security programs just to get online.

All I've got on these is MSE, that's it. And nothing on the netbook, (well this isn't online all the time), and an AV program slows it down, booting into windows

So you have no antispyware programs installed or anything?

Speedy Gonzales
27-05-2013, 02:50 PM
Nope. MSE I think, is an antispyware program anyway. And I just use Windows firewall and the router's firewall. It's better not to install too many (if they run at the same time). Only thing that'll do is slow your system down

Just have to be careful where you go online / what you download and what you open/run (even in email)

QW.
27-05-2013, 02:57 PM
Well I will try just using MSE for the time being and K9 Web Protection and see how it goes. Only other program that I will install is Windows live email client.

Speedy Gonzales
27-05-2013, 03:14 PM
I wouldnt bother with K9 its known to crash system too.

dugimodo
27-05-2013, 04:33 PM
If you want to be cautious let windows backup save a system image onto a portable hard drive then install all the updates and do it again. That way worst case scenario is restore the image, quicker and easier than reinstalling and you always have it to fall back on.

I abandoned my original backup though, mine just creates a system image once a week. It'd be a unlikely situation where it took me longer than that to notice a problem.

Paul.Cov
27-05-2013, 07:36 PM
Check your Firewall status. Can't stress Firewalls enough, but as already said, you don't want multiple apps trying to do the same security job.

Consider turning OFF the autorun features on portable drives / USB sticks.

Turn off all Remote Access features if you've no need for them.

Once online allow it to auto update Windows and Office for security patches (might take a while).

QW.
06-06-2013, 01:26 PM
Turn off all Remote Access features if you've no need for them.

How do I turn off the remote access features in Windows 7?